Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz - Beginners
Shyness when dancing solos (advice?)
By OnceUponATime21 Comments: 1, member since Sun May 31, 2015
On Sun May 31, 2015 02:50 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and new to dancing as well. I'm a contemporary and jazz dancer who has a shyness(insecurity?) problem especially when performing solos. I've been dancing for about 4 months and a half and I still feel a bit shy and insecure when dancing.. but when i'm in a group it's a bit easier.

When I try to do solos, I start having anxiety problems and start doubting myself. I feel so restricted when I create my own routine because I don't want to put a lot of attention on myself (especially when I try to be sexy.. yikes) and even if I did manage to come up with a dance routine and memorize all the steps. I still feel shy and insecure when I want to perform it. I would really appreciate your advice guys. Thank you all so much.

2 Replies to Shyness when dancing solos (advice?)

re: Shyness when dancing solos (advice?)
By DanceFreak8 Comments: 17, member since Tue Feb 03, 2015
On Tue Jun 16, 2015 02:15 PM
I was once shy like you! I remember evryone looking at me, with the huge lights glaring etc.
How I got out of being shy is taking acting classes (this helped me out A LOT, it also gained up my confidence and courage I need) (btw, you don't have to take acting classes to get rid of shyness). Also before I go on stage, I talk it out. (What talking it out means is that when you are nervous or shy, you HAVE to talk. You just have to push your self to talk with others)
Those are just some of the advice I would give to you, and it is okay. Every one gets shyness once in a while
re: Shyness when dancing solos (advice?)
By Red5 Comments: 9, member since Sat Jul 11, 2015
On Sun Jul 12, 2015 04:48 PM
A long time ago I was told that standing in a superhero position before going on stage helps a lot with shyness. (superhero position eg. Both hands on waist ) Also thinking"superhero thoughts".

ReplySendWatch