By McJagger
On Tue Jun 02, 2015 05:55 PM

…and why?

Just curious.

22 Replies to Do you wear your tights OVER or UNDER your leotard

re: Do you wear your tights OVER or UNDER your leotard
By Kittydoodles
On Tue Jun 02, 2015 07:04 PM
I wear mine under, because that's the only way it's allowed where I go. Except for modern class, where we can wear black ones over our leotard.
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 02, 2015 07:34 PM
Pink under black over. I don't care for the look of black tights underneath, looks kind of 80s workout video ish. I also don't care for pink tights over because the sheerness makes it look like underwear on the outside.

I also only wear black tights with colorful Leos, sometimes with a black skirt too. With a black on black you lose so much detail.
By DreamingOnPointe
On Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:43 AM
I always wear my pink tights under my leotard. I really dislike how the seams of the tights look over the leotard and like GannTheGlorious has said, I agree that it looks too much like underwear. Besides, I don't really see the point of wearing them over. For me there's no practical reason for that.

As far as black tights go, I rarely wear them but when I do I wear them under for the same reason as above, maybe paired with black booty shorts. I've just always been taught to wear tights under my clothing as they're considered underwear.

Now leggings are a different matter. When I wear those, I put them on over my leotard. The material would be way too bulky and it would look weird otherwise.
By PrimaOnTop
On Fri Jun 05, 2015 03:32 PM
Pink under, black over. I know a lot of girls that wear pink over because they think it makes their legs look longer, but I've always thought it makes me look wider whenever I do that, so I only wear pink tights over occasionally. Otherwise, I know girls who wear pink tights over because it's more comfortable for them and that way their leotard doesn't slide up and down. As far as black tights go, I've only seen someone wear them under on two occasions: the first was for a Broadway audition, which I understand because the look is kind of classic jazzy; and the second time the girl put them on under without realizing it and didn't want to change them.
By phoenix146
On Sat Jun 06, 2015 01:56 AM
I prefer pink or tan tights under my leotard. I've always categorized tights as undergarments and i don't find wearing them over to be the most flattering. I'm not a fan of black tights, though I think it depends on the class and what, if anything you are going to put on over them. For a modern or jazz class I'd rather just have a pair of black leggings over a colored leotard but, for ballet i always go for the classic pink tights under.
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:53 PM
I agree with the pink under black over rule for the reasons of the other posters, but I also kind of like pink over as well. It feels more casual and most of the ballet classes I'm taking right now have no dress code so it's appropriate. Pink under for me only when its required or i have a skirt on over
By Ristoncormember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:36 AM
I always wear pink tights under a leotard, I've never worn them any other way. I've worn black tights before, just because I couldn't find anything else that day, but I really prefer pink, because you can better see your muscles and the way everything's working in pink.
By ballerina_bella1
On Mon Jun 08, 2015 03:42 PM
For formal scheduled technique and pointe classes and summer programs and auditions I would never wear my tights over my leotard (or wear any warm ups), because it does look VERY sloppy….

But for company warm ups or rehearsal I like to wear them over because the tights are more breathable and adjustable. I also like the line it gives you :)
By ballerina_bella1
On Mon Jun 08, 2015 03:43 PM
For formal scheduled technique and pointe classes and summer programs and auditions I would never wear my tights over my leotard (or wear any warm ups), because it does look VERY sloppy�.

But for company warm ups or rehearsal I like to wear them over because the tights are more breathable and adjustable. I also like the line it gives you :)
By SwordInStone
On Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:22 PM
Edited by SwordInStone (239239) on 2015-06-19 12:26:44
Company dancers--almost always over. Students, under.

You say wearing pink tights over looks sloppy. Think of it this way: teenage girls in uniforms, clean leotards and skirts, all the same. Hair neat, ribbons even on flat shoes, everyone doing combination exact same way.

Adult company members with holes in their tights and shoes, mismatched warmups and half-messy hair. No one does combination same way, each hears music differently, modifies combinations to accommodate their preferences or injuries.

So it makes sense for students to wear pink tights under and look as serious as possible, whereas professional dancers are more casual, too comfortable with each other to be as polite as they were.

Myself, I have a mix of the two, being neither. I wear skirted leotards like serious students, wear pink tights over. If I wear tights under, then I wear footed tights and pink shoes instead of bare feet and tan shoes. Otherwise legs look short.
On Fri Jun 19, 2015 06:06 PM
^ the way you describe company class sounds like my adult classes, and not just in terms of dress code. We also have dancers tweak the combinations to fit their injuries or adjust to how they fell the music. I've watched my local company's classes and rehearsal and feel like, when one is in the company, you're at a level where you don't need to prove anything with your appearance, and when you're an older dancer, you're at an age where you don't need to prove anything with your appearance.
By SwordInStone
On Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:11 PM
Is it overreacting if I read unintended subtext as: if you want to look serious and humble, wear pink tights under your leotard and not over? I know this is a small detail only, but imagine you're fifteen and at your first day in new studio. Would be wise to wear tights under so as not to seem arrogant? As if unwritten rule? Especially if strict Russian teacher or similar.

Also subtext: if you wear pink tights over, you better be a really good dancer or else it'll look ridiculous.

I'll just wear mine under for now...
By Melpomene
On Mon Jun 29, 2015 01:40 PM
Pink Tights:

Always under the leo! I really don't like the look of pink/white tights over leos. I just find it looks unflattering, regardless of figure type. It also cuts your body line, and I don't really fancy wanting to see the under crotchy area of the tights.

And finally, I find it unhygienic :/ claiming that one washes them thoroughly doesn't cut it for me. Unless of course, you have separated your tights between under-only's and over-only's from the start. And not use formally under-only's as newly stationed over-only's.

But in any case, if I do see a dancer wearing them that way in person, I won't make a fuss. At the end of the day it is someone else' choice and desired comfort! Which is important. So to one's own.

Black Tights:

I only have two black tights, and don't wear them too often, but they also go under the leo. Usually worn with other blacks, a black leo and black shorts/skirts/short pants/Leggings.
On Mon Jun 29, 2015 09:53 PM
I think the hygiene angle comes from dancers who are having their cycle and concerned about staining their tights. If your black leo is the closest fabric to your body, it's an extra line of defense, and it won't show a period stain like pink tights would.

Otherwise, yeah, all the dancers I know immediately put ALL their dance clothes (except for shoes of course) in the laundry pile!
By BalletSwan
On Wed Jul 01, 2015 06:51 AM
Pink or flesh colored (which for me is quite tan) is always under my black Leo.

I don't like wearing Leos very often so I don't.I don't wear neon though either.

Everyone in this thread is talking about black lros and I'm like using a white one and a pink one at the moment...still over the tights though.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 01, 2015 07:25 AM
I always wore mine under. It felt weird to wear them over, did it once and I couldn't stop pulling on them.
By JoeSkinnies
On Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:05 PM
I wear mine both. When my stomach hurts I don't want the elastic waist band digging into my stomach for I wear them on the outside and roll the waist band but other than that I wear them under
By lifeisadebut
On Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:51 AM
I recommend wearing your tights over your leotard. I makes for a longer line and it looks more professional.
By SarahElizL
On Fri Aug 07, 2015 02:29 PM
At our studio we do black leo with pink tights under. But I prefer to have my tights over and rolled up partway so that I'm barefoot in my shoe. It helps me to feel the floor better. If it's a lighter colored leo always black tights (over) if it's black then I do pink or tan, over as well. For a darker color I'll use any of them, but most likely still black.
By Dancertell
On Fri Mar 16, 2018 06:52 PM
Edited by Dancertell (282013) on 2018-03-16 19:02:46
i have always worn tights to ballet with a tshirt.
By Bdn
On Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:41 PM
I am new to dancing and wanting to get into ballet but I am a male. Would I wear the tights under the leo as well or would I wear them over? Don’t want to look like the odd duck but want to do it correct.

ReplySendWatch