Forum: Irish / Irish - Feiseanna

Irish - Feiseanna
Dress length question
By kss Comments: 31, member since Tue Dec 30, 2014
On Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:49 PM

Just got a used dress for my daughter (prelim). It's about three years old. I'm surprised how much longer it is in the front than in the back. This is not just while she is wearing it; if I lay it flat, the front is a good one and one half inch longer than the back. The dress is the perfect length in the back or maybe just a tad long, but the result is a very long look in the front, probably only two or so inches above the knee. Her instructor is okay with this and does not recommend alterations as the lower part of the bodice and skirt are sequined and will not look good if it needs to be lowered after being taken up.

Anyway, I guess I'm not entirely sure what my question is other than wondering about your thoughts on this. I've not seen this style much on other champs except when the front seems to be the correct length and then the back looks very (and sometimes very, very!) short.

7 Replies to Dress length question

re: Dress length question
By keepitpink1 Comments: 333, member since Mon Oct 08, 2007
On Fri Jun 05, 2015 02:40 AM

Hello.
Some dressmakers make the fronts a little longer so when you are on the stage or podium the back of the skirt is not visible from the front.
See attached pic of a very modern Gavin :)
On Fri Jun 05, 2015 08:51 AM
keepitpink1 wrote:

Hello.
Some dressmakers make the fronts a little longer so when you are on the stage or podium the back of the skirt is not visible from the front.
See attached pic of a very modern Gavin :)

Okay, that's really interesting! I hadn't thought about not wanting the back of the dress to be seen from the front. Unfortunately, on my daughter this style looks rather strange, probably because she has well developed muscles in the back, which makes the back shorter even on her old dress that is the same length front and back.
By shamrockdancemum Comments: 122, member since Wed Oct 31, 2012
On Fri Jun 05, 2015 05:55 PM
My daughter's dress is also a Gavin and it is 2 inches longer in the front than in the back (when laid flat). When she actually puts in on, it is even shorter in the back because her butt lifts it up even higher.

I'm always worried about her getting a dress infraction - the front is totally fine, even a tad long, but its really short in the back!

I figured it was a design flaw on hers, but maybe they're all like that??

Interesting thread :)
By StepdancerPremium member Comments: 1977, member since Sun Oct 22, 2006
On Fri Jun 05, 2015 08:47 PM
^^ I was gonna say...I really need that extra length in the back to make the skirt hang straight. Irish dancers in particular tend to overdevelop the hip and leg muscles because that's most of what we use, so I would imagine it's pretty common to have well developed glutes which function perfectly as skirt lifters. :D
On Sat Jun 06, 2015 08:57 AM
Well, I suppose it's not too surprising that my daughter's new-to-her dress is a Gavin. I wish there was a way to lift the front, but it would be a really tough alteration with no letting it back out.
By shamrockdancemum Comments: 122, member since Wed Oct 31, 2012
On Sat Jun 06, 2015 09:56 AM
kss -
My seamstress was able to get the dress to lift a bit in the front just by taking the dress in along the zipper area (an easy alteration). The dress was a bit big on my daughter, so the seamstress made it more "form-fitting". When she did this the whole front of the dress rose up, so it wasn't as long. It might be worth trying this.

Also I had my daughter wear the shorter "ankle" length bubble socks, so more of her legs were showing. If she wore the longer in the front dress, with longer socks, she would have had hardly any leg showing!
On Mon Jun 08, 2015 08:02 AM
shamrockdancemum wrote:

kss -
My seamstress was able to get the dress to lift a bit in the front just by taking the dress in along the zipper area (an easy alteration). The dress was a bit big on my daughter, so the seamstress made it more "form-fitting". When she did this the whole front of the dress rose up, so it wasn't as long. It might be worth trying this.

Also I had my daughter wear the shorter "ankle" length bubble socks, so more of her legs were showing. If she wore the longer in the front dress, with longer socks, she would have had hardly any leg showing!

I had hoped that we would be able to do an alteration like what you described, but her instructor said not to try it and I figure we need to do whatever he says. He is probably concerned that she is going to continue to grow and if we make that alteration there will be no way to get the length back without it looking bad because of the sequins.

Thanks for the advice on the socks! That makes a lot of sense.

ReplySendWatch