Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Irish - Beginners
Best Way to Tie Soft Shoes?
By Ginny_Everstar Comments: 5, member since Fri Jun 19, 2015
On Fri Jun 19, 2015 04:26 PM

Hey there everyone,

So, I've been doing Irish dance for over a year now, and my dance teacher has taught me from the beginning that I have to tie my soft shoe laces like this:

Bring them round from the back, cross them over the bottom of your ankle, then under your arch, over and under until you have the right amount left to tie a small-ish bow, then tuck it in at the side or the top.

I was just wondering, am I tying them the right way?
She says that tying them around your ankles puts too much stress on a certain tendon that we need to dance on our toes, but I've heard that tying them the way I do can also damage tendons.

Is there another way to do this at all?

2 Replies to Best Way to Tie Soft Shoes?

re: Best Way to Tie Soft Shoes?
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 457, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Fri Jun 19, 2015 05:54 PM
Yeah, you don't want to tie under your arch, and if you have to wrap multiple times, you laces are way too long: cut them and burn the ends or paint with clear nail polish to prevent fraying.

All of the Hullchans (and I believe some other brands too?) have an extra set of eyelets to help keep the shoe on securely without having to go around the arch, and the h3s have one more set. If you are wearing a brand without the eyelets, I know there is a way to loop the laces without going under the arch, but someone else will have to tell you because once I converted to h3 I used my old laces in a craft project!
re: Best Way to Tie Soft Shoes?
By Ginny_Everstar Comments: 5, member since Fri Jun 19, 2015
On Sat Jun 20, 2015 02:49 AM
Okay, so should I shorten the laces and tie them round my ankles like I used to do with my ballet slippers then? It won't shurt my tendons?

ReplySendWatch