Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
What else could I have done with this?
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Fri Jun 19, 2015 08:33 PM

I made a package of Basmati Oats and Lentils tonight. It's from Pedon and it took 10-12 min. to make. It was Basmati Rice, pre-cooked oats & red and yellow split lentils. It said to simmer the package of rice and lentils in a large pan of water. I knew it would be kind of bland (boy was that an understatement) so I added some chicken broth to the water cause we were having chicken. I also added a pinch or so of Applewood smoked salt to the water. It was so bland! So after I put it back in the pot after I drained it I added some butter, about 2 pats. Still no taste really. I added but not in this order exactly garlic powder, dehydrated onion flakes, reg. salt, parsley, seasoned salt, and paprika. It's only slightly better tasting. What else could I add? How about Basil? No lemon, I don't like it. Everyone always says to add lemon which is why I said that. I also don't like anything spicy. Maybe Rosemary? Maybe I should add some garlic put through a garlic press?

It sounded so good when I bought this and now I am just upset that it is so bland. Also, I am a super taster so if I think it's bland, it really is! My taste buds are amazing which is why I can't figure why with all the stuff I added after it was all cooked that it was still so bland! How about if I added some meat to it, like bacon or ham? How about grated cheese or some kind of cheese? Help!

10 Replies to What else could I have done with this?

re: What else could I have done with this?
By balletbella23member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 62, member since Fri Feb 10, 2012
On Mon Jun 22, 2015 04:14 PM
Maybe if you sautéed some onions (heat up some butter and ((olive)) oil, chop the onions, add some crushed or minced, even halved garlic) and let simmer until translucent, then add the oats and lentils (and water) and let it simmer some more. Maybe if you slow cooked it with everything you added it would've had more taste. I'm not saying to throw it all in a crock pot, but maybe put all of your ingredients in on the stove, turn the heat down, and let it cook, so that it can sit in the flavors for a bit. Letting things sit can be very vital for flavor as it gives everything time to blend together. If you soaked them (I don't know if this is at all possible with the type of oats and lentils) you could have thrown them into rice or something.

You could also do the onion/garlic sauté method with some celery and carrots to start a stew, which you would then add the meat, liquid, potatoes, veggies, oats and lentils as well as seasoning (not all at once). With a stew/soup, try adding the seasoning at the end (besides salt/pepper, can be done really whenever) so that it doesn't get lost while you're still adding everything.

Despite the fact that it's bland and you don't want it to be, if you made a really flavourful dish and wanted a side that wouldn't change the taste or would fit with the meal plan because it takes the taste of the main dish, the original recipe of these oats and lentils could come in handy (for once)!

Try around with different things, try cooking them in the oven (you can do this with brown rice!), crock pot, soaking them first, paring them with beans, rice, or in a stew...what about cooking them and adding the into a pasta salad sort of thing? You could even use them in a chili, a veggie medley, or make a casserole. You could take the pasta route, and make like a flour-milk roux, but that could just turn into mac and cheese, so beware if you're trying to step away from something like that.

There are endless possibilities with these oats and lentils, until you get sick of them (if you're not already).

Good luck!
By hummingbird Comments: 10410, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Jun 22, 2015 07:07 PM
What else did you put with it? I would have made a dish with a good amount of sauce to be soaked up by the rice dish.
On Mon Jun 22, 2015 08:26 PM
I haven't done anything with it yet. I would have put all that stuff in it in the beginning if I had thought they would be that bland. For some reason, even though I knew all the ingredients in the mix, I thought this would taste different and I wouldn't have had to add all of the stuff I did. I am going to try all of the stuff you said and maybe use this as a side dish. I was thinking of adding sausage to it and making it a main dish. We have a lot of it, more then 2 of us can eat. If we make it so it's not bland, I can freeze a lot of it and we can eat it again. I just don't know exactly what to do with it, side or main but I do know we won't eat it like it is. Thanks for all the info! I was afraid no one would give me an answer.

I will let you all know how it turns out.
On Mon Jun 22, 2015 08:30 PM
We haven't eaten them enough to be sick of them yet. I hope we don't get sick of them because they would have been yummy with some flavoring. All the package said was to add a pan full of water and let them simmer for 10-12 min. I've made a barley soup but never anything like this.
On Tue Jun 23, 2015 09:06 AM
A rice dish like that isn't meant to be the main part of your meal, it's bland so that you can taste the main part of your dish. It should go with something like Butter Chicken or Saag Paneer.
By balletbella23member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 62, member since Fri Feb 10, 2012
On Tue Jun 23, 2015 02:00 PM
Edited by balletbella23 (246253) on 2015-06-23 14:06:42 Typo
I mean, it's just food, so like, you can expand it to anything you want and try new things. Sure, it's made to be a side, but that doesn't mean it can only be a side. The fact that it's a side dish doesn't excuse it's blandness...if that makes sense.
On Tue Jun 23, 2015 03:08 PM
Blander dishes go well with highly flavoured dishes, that way the flavours don't fight each other. There is a place for bland recipes but it's probably not as a main dish.

How about turning it into a sort of risotto? Fry up some onions, add some garlic, some chopped chicken and some vegetables that you like, then add it to your Pilau.
On Tue Jun 23, 2015 07:25 PM
I like your idea too Hummingbird.

I'm a super taster. I have a bazillion taste buds on my tongue so there are plenty of things I can and can't eat. I can't eat sweets or anything spicy and I love to bake! If I do eat anything that is very sweet there had better be a sink or a toilet nearby because I will have to hurl! At first I thought it was an allergy until someone told me that their friend thought the same thing until she got tested and found out that wasn't the case. That's when I realized that as soon as it hits my tongue I am sick to my stomach. Then I brushed my tongue like the dentist tells you to do. Breakfast, lunch and dinner in the sink. That's when I knew for sure. So that Butter Chicken and the other one, I've seen the ingredients in them and I can't eat them. What's great about food is it might tell you one way to make something but then you look at it and say, "I can add this or leave this out" and it will still be amazing." When I get done with this it will be amazing! Thank you for all the help, guys! This package sounded like it would be yummy but I had no idea it would be so bland. Believe me, if I say it had no taste at all, it did. However, I can't wait to make it taste better.

By the way, why do they call it Butter Chicken when there is no butter in it? At least the recipes I've seen don't have butter in them.
On Thu Jun 25, 2015 04:37 PM
I decided to do the garlic, onion, butter & EVOO & sauté. Then I will add some diced carrots and celery and some water and let the oats and lentils simmer for a while. That will be my side. If this works like I think it will, I will buy this again & do this. I'm getting hungry right now just thinking of it.
On Thu Jun 25, 2015 06:32 PM
I just tasted some. It's so much better then it was! Tomorrow night we might have stuffed scallops and this will go well with it. I'm still keeping it on the stove. It's not on but the cover is on the pan so it will sit there and more of the flavors will sit and meld into the mix. Thanks guys for all your help! Now I have a really yummy dish that we will all love. If my dad will keep doing his throat exercises he might also be able to eat this too.

ReplySendWatch