Forum: Ask a Teacher

I wanted the purple spot!!
By DancerGirl05
On Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:26 PM

Hey DDN'ers,
I'm having a bit of difficulty in my age 3-5 ballet/tap combo class. I use a lot of props during class like rubber poly spots, cones to leap over, beanbags, etc. The trouble is, I always hear "I wanted the purple spot/blue beanbag!!" (Child proceeds to cry uncontrollably til I eventually have to bring the student out to the parent.) Now, I try to be accommodating to all the kids usually to avoid such issues, but there comes a point where I only have a limited number of colors of each. It's getting to the point where I cringe at the idea of props. Are all kids this age seriously like this? I feel like it's such an odd thing to get upset over...when I was a kid, I didn't dream of questioning or throwing a fit over what the instructor game me. It was you got what you got and you were happy with it. For those of you that use props, how do you handle the "I wanted that color!!/cry Moments" in your classes? Help!

7 Replies to I wanted the purple spot!!

re: I wanted the purple spot!!
By stargaze
On Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:59 PM
Edited by stargaze (211623) on 2015-06-19 23:01:02
"you get what you get and you won't get upset" is my blanket statement! You have to say this within the instructions in order to set expectations for the kids. If you have to keep repeating it, do it!
re: I wanted the purple spot!! (karma: 1)
By DancerGirl05
On Sat Jun 20, 2015 05:18 PM
Edited by DancerGirl05 (228003) on 2015-06-20 17:19:44
Oh my gosh that totally worked! I told them that I didn't want to see anyone upset if they don't get the color they want because I picked their colors special for them �
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 20, 2015 08:24 PM
Our version of that is 'you git what you git and you don't throw a fit'. :)
By hummingbird
On Tue Jun 23, 2015 03:53 PM
We do the same thing, now the dancers recite it each time a kid even tries to throw a wobbly about colours.
re: I wanted the purple spot!! (karma: 1)
By RileyA
On Tue Jun 23, 2015 04:05 PM
And the cardinal rule we have found is never have a pink spot in a class full of little girls, unless they are all pink!
By stargaze
On Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:14 PM
So true RileyA! Glad you had success DancerGirl05...
By ExtremeAPA
On Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:37 AM
I had similar issues year and after year and finally decided to buy all new poly spots in orange (boring, I know). It actually did help though. Discount school supply sells them and lets you pick which color.

ReplySendWatch