Forum: Irish / Irish

Camp ideas? and a few questions...
By lorna_doonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 29, 2015 01:50 PM

Hi all, I'm teaching an Irish summer camp as the main teacher as a recreational activity. The camp is in a few weeks and divided into level (Beg, Novice, Intermediate (PZ)). Te first camp is 3 hours, the last two are 4 hours. They meet M-F for 3 weeks in July.

So far I have planned for each day:
warm up
solo steps
set dances
ceilis
Watch Jig possibly (none of these students have ever competed of course since this is mostly for fun, so I thought this would be a fun thing for them to watch)
ID history (quite a few parents have expressed great interest in this area!)
craft
(obviously this changes per level since the beginners don't know hard shoe yet - and of course we'll have breaks throughout)

The crafts I have lined up are:
Beg - design your own solo dress/color pages, tie dye poodle socks, make t-shirts
Novice and Intermediate - same as above but no designing solo dress

What do you think so far? Any suggestions/tips of things to add? Take away?

A question I had was - what type of tie-dye can you call suggest to use for poodle socks? Will any kind do?

Thanks in advance! :)

5 Replies to Camp ideas? and a few questions...

re: Camp ideas? and a few questions... (karma: 1)
By rosalinde
On Tue Jun 30, 2015 05:35 AM
Edited by rosalinde (213002) on 2015-06-30 05:36:46
Definitely put in Jig. Maybe also some older videos (25th Worlds) to show change of dance style, dress style etc. Have some show DVDs (Riverdance, LOTD, perhaps some more obscure ones) on standby.

Let kids make up steps of their own, perhaps in groups. Let them show them to each other, give them feedback. You may have an undiscovered choreographer there!

I would have a 'design your own solo' in the Novice/PW group too. Even if they already have a solo, it may well be a second-hand one, or at least chosen for other reasons than that it was truly their dream dress. Let them go nuts in designing their own dress.

Maybe cupcake decorating, making green jelly, green drinks, green ice cream etc.

Make a dance dress out of old clothes, paper, ribbons whatever. Maybe a no-sew tutu?

A guest class in a different style (tap dance, Highland, ballet, pilates etc). Last year I had my Irish Dancers do Highland the class after Oireachtas (when they were on their Post-O low). They thought it was really cool, especially the swords.

ID history is great if the kids are older. Or split it: fun way for the young ones, serious talk for the teens and parents.

Just some ideas ...
re: Camp ideas? and a few questions...
On Tue Jun 30, 2015 07:32 AM
Wow, Rosalinde! Great ideas, thanks so much! I agree with the designing your own solo dress- none of these girls have ever even seen a solo dress so I imagine they'll have a blast :)

Thanks again for your ideas!
By StepdancerPremium member
On Tue Jun 30, 2015 06:30 PM
How about learning some Irish? My students love simple things like "Hello" and "Goodbye" and "Thank You", and counting from 1-10. I have an app on my iPad where the words are pronounced for you, and they have little quizzes. My students love it. A camp would be a great place for something like this; I'm running a dance school, not a camp, and I always feel a bit guilty when they get so into it and then I have to stop them (because their parents paid for a dance class, not an Irish language class.) A camp would have more time.

rosalinde wrote:

Let kids make up steps of their own, perhaps in groups. Let them show them to each other, give them feedback. You may have an undiscovered choreographer there!

We do something similar with ceili. One of my kids coined the term "Invented Ceili". ("Let's invent a ceili, Miss Stepdancer!") I start by teaching an opening figure or movement. Then we go from student to student, each adding their own movement. For example, if I start with a circle sidestepping right/left, then left/right, the next student may add advance and retire, the next may have us open to a line, the next may have half the line skip forward while the rest skip back, and so on. If I have more than 6 students, I find I have to scribble some notes to keep it straight. This is very good for teaching transitions, how one figure moves to another. Sometimes a student will propose a figure that just doesn't work with the one before it, either because we don't have enough room given where the last one left us or because there's no clear way to get from Point A to Point B. I'll say, "Okay, you want us to move to a line. Exactly how do you want us to get into the line? How many 3's should it take us to get there?" It's interesting to watch the brows furrow and the discussion ensue! I allow for lots of trial and error because at least half of the proposed figures don't work for one reason or another, but it's fascinating to watch them get better at it the more they do it.
By rosalinde
On Thu Jul 02, 2015 04:12 AM
May you could use this (albeit old-fashioned) dress base for the dress-design.
On Thu Jul 02, 2015 07:34 AM
^ oh thank you!!! :) I have a few already but I like this pattern. Thank you!

ReplySendWatch