Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Do I need a harder shank?
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:07 AM

Right now I'm returning to pointe after an injury, and I'm wearing 2007's in the SS shank. My left foot is weaker than my right, and I'm having more difficulty rolling up to pointe on one leg on my left side- right side is fine. Do I need a firmer shank until I build up that strength again?

I love the SS shank otherwise, (I feel well supported once I'm up) but I don't want to be one-sided. I'm doing double theraband exercises on my left to build the strength up again but it isn't an overnight process.

4 Replies to Do I need a harder shank?

re: Do I need a harder shank?
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:18 PM
You might not like this answer: this is really the kind of question only a teacher or PT who sees you can answer. You need to have someone really assess how much of the issue is strength and how much is you holding back because of injury fear. For example, when I was starting back to pointe after my ankle sprain this winter, my PT saw that I was strong enough, but I had this instinct to protect my bad ankle by letting my right foot do all the work when I was on two feet or really holding way back if my left foot was my standing leg.

Either way, this is the sort of thing that will take time and patience to get back to normal. If you aren't already seeing a PT, you should. Not only can they assess your strength, but they can also determine if you have scar tissue that keeps you in the way of getting to full pointe, and if so, they can help you break that mess down.
By Gavrilushka
On Sun Jul 05, 2015 07:52 PM
A stronger shank supports you more, but you will have to be able to get onto the box and that's much harder to do with a stiffer shank. The 2007s have a pretty long vamp. Try the Novas or a shoe with a shorter vamp. Vamp length can get in the way of getting up onto pointe.
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 07, 2015 09:14 AM
Thanks ladies. After a few more classes, I'm pretty sure that this is at least 75% a strength issue, as I can get over the box on two feet or pique, its just rolling up those one-legged releves I'm having trouble with. I can also manage the one legged releves if I go very slow and hold the barre, I just can't pop up.

It is frustrating not being able to do what I used to do but I'm using the theraband every day and doing lots releves on flat, hopefully the strength will come back. My teacher told me to put on my shoes every day and do 10-15 minutes of slow releves on two feet so I'm doing that on days I don't have class.

I hadn't even thought about the long vamp, I have such long gorilla toes that I never questioned getting a long vamp, but that is definitely something to consider. I'm planning on getting fit for a new pair (before these die) as soon as I get paid anyway so I will look into something with a shorter vamp.

ReplySendWatch