Forum: Music / Music & Songs

Need Help Identifying Ballet Song (no lyrics)
By Joeykokko
On Sat Jul 11, 2015 06:13 AM
Edited by Joeykokko (274351) on 2015-07-11 06:17:04

Hi guys! I would really like to identify the name of this piece, so if you know what it is and maybe even where it's from, I'd be awfully grateful. Thanks! :)

Link to song:
www.youtube.com . . .

(I've already tried music-identifying apps such as Shazam but they're mostly only good for pop music. I've also attempted posting this on other forums as well but with no luck.)

6 Replies to Need Help Identifying Ballet Song (no lyrics)

re: Need Help Identifying Ballet Song (no lyrics)
By hummingbird
On Sat Jul 11, 2015 08:15 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2015-07-11 08:17:16 It could just be my internet but the youtube link isn't working properly.
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2015-07-11 10:14:15 Now I can't put words in the right order.
I know, I know!

After racking my brains for a bit because the version I last used of this was piano, not full orchestra, I realized that it's Jocular Waltz or Waltz Scherzo from Dances of the Dolls by Dmitri Shostakovich.

www.youtube.com . . .
By Joeykokko
On Sat Jul 11, 2015 09:41 AM
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm so excited :)
By Joeykokko
On Sat Jul 11, 2015 09:49 PM
Does anyone happen to know anything more about this particular ballet? I've searched all over the web but I can't find anyone who dances to this piece of music.
By hummingbird
On Sun Jul 12, 2015 07:23 AM
It's not really a ballet, Shostakovich wrote a lot of music with dance in mind but not all of it was used in ballets.
re: Need Help Identifying Ballet Song (no lyrics) (karma: 1)
By Joeykokko
On Tue Jul 14, 2015 05:20 AM
After much research, I've found that there was actually this ballet The Bright Stream/ The Limpid Stream that was not well-received by the authorities at that time. Here's a snippet I found on Youtube when the Bolshoi Ballet revived the ballet. It is a comedy. :)

m.youtube.com . . .
By hummingbird
On Tue Jul 14, 2015 07:48 AM
It just goes to show that you never stop learning, I had no idea about that and I know about quite a few obscure ballets. That's really interesting.

ReplySendWatch