Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

To Ballet or Not to Ballet
By Red5
On Sun Jul 12, 2015 01:56 AM

I am only 14 years old. I would love to start Ballet. I have read things that tell me I am too old to start Ballet. I have a slight background in dance studying contemporary and Hiphop. My question is: Am I to old for Ballet?

9 Replies to To Ballet or Not to Ballet

re: To Ballet or Not to Ballet
By Tishwah
On Sun Jul 12, 2015 02:20 AM
Considering I started about 10 years older than you are now, no, you aren't to old!
By hummingbird
On Sun Jul 12, 2015 07:22 AM
I've had many of my students start ballet at your age or older, they're often the best students because they really want to be there. It wasn't their mums that signed them up, they took the trouble to find the class and they're normally my hardest working students.

It will be frustrating and hard work to begin with but if you don't try...
By Gaudium
On Wed Jul 15, 2015 08:15 AM
Your age can only be a problem if you let it, your mental attitude is all that counts at your age. Ballet and whining are not compatible, Ballet is hard work and pain, you will not have the time to whine, Ballet is well worth the effort but you have to want to dance and you must be totally involved. I was on the edge of abandoning ballet, when one day I received an emotional reaction from my small audience. I was hooked; I loved it and I avoided becoming a garbage collector. With the emotional response from the audience I became an artist, what else is there to say other than you have to enjoy sharing it with an audience. Dance is beautiful to the eyes, ears and it lives in the sole if you invite it in. So if you want to dance GO FOR IT!
By Dancer95000
On Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:40 AM
I'm due to start ballet in September and I'm 19, is that a good age to start? Also, does anyone know what's more common for males to wear in class a leotard and tights or just tights and a t-shirt. I don't want to look out of place and I feel I might get embarrassed as my teacher said at the moment I'll be the only male in the group.
By Storm_Trouper
On Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:55 AM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-07-23 00:58:59
Dancer95000 wrote:

I'm due to start ballet in September and I'm 19, is that a good age to start? Also, does anyone know what's more common for males to wear in class a leotard and tights or just tights and a t-shirt. I don't want to look out of place and I feel I might get embarrassed as my teacher said at the moment I'll be the only male in the group.

Hello Dancer95000

Welcome to Dance Dot Net (DDN). It's great to see new male dancers taking up ballet all the time!

Whenever you want to ask a new question, it usually works best here to start a fresh post (aka thread or conversation) so people can stay on topic. The thread here is about the 14 year old OP's (Original Poster) question. So if you post a new question about starting as a 19 year old male in a separate thread then people will likely respond on that particular posting. I see that you reposted your tights/leo question separately and have already received a great response, including a third option, unitard.

DDN can be searched for topics via Google. Example: canvas slippers

In google, just type in canvas slippers site:dance.net

and google will search only the dance.net website for the search term (canvas slippers) you entered.

Good luck with your ballet journey in September.
By luv2plie
On Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:06 AM
Go For it! I take ballet and I am over the age of 40.

I wear a white shirt, black tights, dance belt, white ballet shoes and white socks.

If you wear that you will blend in and you will not stand out.

Keep us posted

ps: what got you into ballet?
By lift
On Sat Aug 01, 2015 03:54 PM
too old for what?
By LeahStars
On Sun Aug 02, 2015 01:45 PM
MISTY COPELAND STARTED AT 13!!!

You are NOT too old to do ballet!
By Storm_Trouper
On Sun Aug 02, 2015 09:58 PM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-08-02 22:13:12
luv2plie wrote:

I take ballet... wear a white shirt, black tights...
If you wear that you will blend in and will not stand out

The second poster will be the only fellow in his class probably, so will wear an outfit that's unique from the rest of his classmates.

As to which type of top is the more common (leo vs T) that depends on the type of school and class. For an adult recreational beginner class a (plain, white, trim not baggy) T shirt is probably more common. But for some academies, the vocational male trainees might be prescribed a uniform leo top.

ReplySendWatch