Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance Videos

Modern Dance Videos
my modern choreography (from Estonia)
By alice_est Comments: 2, member since Tue Jul 14, 2015
On Tue Jul 14, 2015 07:06 PM

Hi! I'm Choreographer from Estonia, here are some of my choreography videos, please send me feedback, what you like? what can be different, better?
Thank you in advance!

Video for A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera song "Say Something": www.youtube.com . . .

Video for Kerli Kõiv song "Love me or leave me": www.youtube.com . . .

Kind regards,
Alice Aleksandridi
Free Flow Studio

3 Replies to my modern choreography (from Estonia)

re: my modern choreography (from Estonia)
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Jul 15, 2015 06:27 AM
Really nice choreography! In Say Something, I enjoyed the ebb ans flow of the pick-ups in the beginning and it had some really nice, visual moments. There were a couple pathing issues that could be fixed, and some minor timing problems, but those are easily solved. I wish you had used formations more, instead of keeping lines/clumps of dancers that morphed into slightly different arrangements of lines/clumps of dancers. I also wish wish the big lift had been more featured. But that might be more the angle of the videographer than the choreography itself. Otherwise, I thought it was a beautiful piece that incorporated different ages and levels of dancers.

In Love Me or Leave Me, first off, major kudos for dancing in dust? powder? whatever the material on the floor was. Breathing while dancing in that? Oh man. I understand that it was shot more as a music video, and probably due to the nature of the dust, it made group work difficult, but I would have loved to have seen more of the dancers dancing together instead of so much of the solo improv shots. I also kept hoping they connect more with partnering/weight sharing cerses staying separate in the formation. Again, I get that this was more music video, and while the editing is really well done, the panning and cuts were a little distracting. A couple times I wissh the camera had been still so I could really see the movement, because the movement was lovely. But that opinion is more towards the nature of the video verses the dancing in it. Overall, I really enjoyed watching your dancers.

Your company has nice movement quality, you use levels well, there's some good partnering, the dancers look well trained and well rehearsed. I look forward to seeing more from you in the future!
By alice_est Comments: 2, member since Tue Jul 14, 2015
On Thu Jul 16, 2015 05:21 PM
Edited by alice_est (274392) on 2015-07-16 17:26:27
My warmest thank you for your feedback!

Yes, in the "Love me or leave me" video we used flour. The reason was the meaning and storyline behind it:
"Love. What if you can see it? Clean, pure and light. It's everywhere, in the air, on us, on the floor, no matter where you look. You breath it in with every breath. Even when it's long gone, something stays, some parts always do. We do ask the questions in dance as in life, but everybody knows the answers before the questions are made. Even though - you will ask. And you will ask again. Even when the eyes tell thousands of words looking at the door and lips keep their silence."

Was a fun to shoot the video thou and also photographer got some nice pics. And i agree with you about all - distance, lifts etc

i try to keep all your feedback on mind when we do next videos and i really appreciate your input, this means a lot, thank you again and greetings from Estonia :)
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Jul 16, 2015 08:30 PM
I agree with Sum

I loved the movements in Love Me or Leave Me but it really bugged me that the camera gave so many close ups of the dancers, it meant I couldn't really see the effect of the choreography, that was such a shame. On the few bits here I could see the group as a whole I liked the frantic passion behind the choreography and then all we got was more close ups again.

ReplySendWatch