Forum: Arts / Pets

Pets
Crating at night?
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1855, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:01 PM

Long story short, my boyfriend and I adopted a dog almost three months ago.
He was living in a pen in a garage with another dog, and when we got him we quickly realized that despite being told otherwise he is not house broken. These last few months I've worked with him and have gotten him almost completely housetrained- except through the night. Every single night he pees in my kitchen, either on the fridge or on the freezer. It's driving me insane. My boyfriend and I bought this house in October and have spent a lot of time any money fixing it up, only for this dog to be ruining it.

I've tried everything- pee pads, waking up early to take him out through the night, I've bought baby gates and cordoned off the living room and downstairs (he was peeing on the couch also) but he still pees in here ever single night. It's getting to the point where I'm so frustrated with him every morning that I'm not enjoying having him around.

Had I known he wasn't housebroken, I would never have adopted him but theres nothing I can do about that now, and he had such a rough start to life I would feel awful re homing him again.

So my mom suggested crating him at night. He has a bed that he sleeps in every night, he always goes there when Jess and I go to bed, and he's never had an issue with it. So putting his bed in a crate isn't that cruel is it? I'm feeling sick to my stomach over it but I feel like it's my best option to teach him not to pee at night, and it's not even that long, from 11pmish- 6amish.

Blah, it's just making me feel awful. Does anyone else crate their dogs at night?

3 Replies to Crating at night?

re: Crating at night?
By Kettricken Comments: 174, member since Thu Jun 07, 2012
On Fri Jul 17, 2015 06:18 AM
What a cutie!

I have three pugs. The breed is smart, but very stubborn. The first two, when they were puppies, were crated at night, and while we were at work since the concept is that they won't mess in their living/sleeping space. Eventually, when they were making it through the night/day without messing the crate, we stopped doing that. With the third, we started the same thing. However, I swear it was like he got so mad that he was separated from the rest of us, that he purposely messed in the cage almost immediately.

The point is that I don't think crating him at night is a bad idea. I don't think I would put his bed in there at first though. I would fold up a towel (preferably a bigger one or beach towel) until he gets the hang of things and stops peeing in there at night. Washing some towels every so often would be much easier than washing his bed every day.

However, I don't think there is one way to train every animal. What works for one, doesn't always work for another.

Good luck!
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:40 AM
My dog is 5 years old and he still gets crated at night.

He knows his routine. We go to the bathroom around 10PM, then I put him in his crate, and he gets his little dog treat.

He now runs into the crate by himself to get a treat! He sometimes goes in there by himself when he wants a nap during the day. I don't think crating a dog is a bad thing when he sleeps. My Bf thought it was cruel at first, but the crate stays in the bedroom with us.
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1855, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Sun Jul 19, 2015 04:58 PM
Okay so the first night he was so sad. I sat on the floor with him, put a treat in the crate and tried to coax him in. He just looked at me with the saddest eyes and crawled into my lap (he thinks he's a lap dog even at 30lbs). I picked him up and put him in the crate, all while telling him what a good dog he was, then turned off the lights and stuff. In the morning when I got up for work he was sleeping on his back in his crate, snoring haha. The last two days he's been more willing to go in, and I have a feeling that in a month or two he will go in willingly, just like he did with his bed.

I feel a lot better now. Thanks guys.

ReplySendWatch