Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Guys in Ballet
White vs. Black Slippers
By redlizard32 Comments: 6, member since Wed Jan 07, 2015
On Mon Jul 20, 2015 07:23 PM

What is the difference between white and black ballet slippers_ My teacher asked my to wear white slippers from now on. Also what kind of white socks do I need and the length. She never specified she just said white socks.

3 Replies to White vs. Black Slippers

re: White vs. Black Slippers
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:17 PM
For my ballet classes I also have to wear white ballet shoes. Wearing white ballet shoes is usually easier for corrections because black ballet shoes blends in with your black tights. That is why many dance studios required their male students to wear white ballet shoes for ballet their ballet classes

I also wear white tube socks for ballet classes
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Thu Jul 23, 2015 02:04 AM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-07-23 02:18:43
I believe one of the reasons behind wearing white shoes in combination with white socks (with black or other solid colour footed tights or footless leggings) is that visually the toes- arch/instep- heel/ankle - lower leg all form a contiguous visual unit. At a glance it is most easily possible to scan the quality of the line of the lower leg extremity. It is likely the same with grey shoes worn over grey tights (no socks). Depending on the lighting conditions, black may make subtle faults less readily apparent. Dancers perform in costumes under bright stage lights where their shoes can be ANY colour (e.g. red, blue, brown, yellow, flesh) or in black, brown and red leather or leather-like danseur's boots.

But a trained eye can probably assess this line whether black shoes are worn with white socks, black shoes over black tights (no socks), shoes of any color with no socks, or bare footed with exposed ankle and lower leg.

Socks in my opinion should be as thin as possible and highly elastic. They need to conform closely to the L-shaped angle at the ankle joint without a lot of wrinkling over the joint ideally.

They come in many lengths that are worn to classes, ranging from ankle (quarter calf) length, to mid calf length, to three quarter to full calf length. I would avoid the type of short socks that are not meant to show or just barely show above a low cut athletic shoe.

Hope this gives you some helpful perspective.
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 192, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Tue Sep 08, 2015 06:29 AM
Black show and tights hide some stuff. (more difficult to see) White shoes will really shoe if you aren't pointing your feet properly among other things.

White socks

It is common for men to wear white knee high socks. I've never liked the look but I'm short and think it cut your leg in half. I'd check with her as to length. Socks with Milliskin tights tend to slip. You may need rosin to prevent this. Just dust a bit on your tights before you put on your socks. You can get powdered rosin at sports store. Used for baseball)

Hope this helps.

ReplySendWatch