Forum: Advice / Ask a Judge

Ask a Judge
should i switch to this new school?
By lfin22 Comments: 3, member since Sun Jul 19, 2015
On Mon Jul 20, 2015 09:06 PM

SO i have been training at this studio for about 4 years and i've improved a lot. The teachers and other students are great. But because of issues regarding this past recital my parents will not let me stay at my currrent studio. I was in advanced classes along with a bunch of girls that are part of the company (i was not because of school/ work commitments) and some girls were in 18+ dances in the recital, which in my opinion is ridiculous when i was only in 4 and take the same classes. My parents felt very upset because they pay a lot of money to see me dance way less than the other girls. about 90% of the girls i know at the studio are in company, so you can see why i feel like the only one on the backburner.

So, I've been taking summer classes at another local school. And it's okay. My problem is that the girls in my class (advanced ballet, jazz, contemporary )would be classified as intermediate at my old school. I know a lot of girls are away at summer intensives, but im worried i will not improve if their classes go at a slower pace than i'd like. This studio's ballet program is amazing but i feel like they don't put as much effort in other styles.

There is no other studios i would consider going to in my area. i dont want to waste money and register for classes at this studio if im not sure; but i also don't want to be rude and ask the studio owners if the summer advanced classes are the same as the fall/winter/spring session. any ideas on how to talk to the studio owners about my concerns in a polite way?

3 Replies to should i switch to this new school?

re: should i switch to this new school?
By pharmadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3459, member since Tue Mar 16, 2004
On Tue Jul 21, 2015 07:22 AM
I don't understand how you or your parents are upset at you being in less dances as compared to people in the company. If you are not in the company (which, I assume requires more commitment and more classes), that would be the reason for the discrepancy.

You need to consider quality of teaching versus quantity. If you want to improve, you need to go to the best classes you can. Of course it would only help you take as many classes as you can, but if your commitment level is limited, then there's only so much you can do.

As to talking with the studio owners about the advanced classes - I would have an honest discussion with them. First, I would ask them (have the teacher in the discussion, too, if that is a different person) about your ability to keep up with and be challenged by the class. It's possible that you don't feel the classes are challenging enough, but that you are dancing with poor technique (for example). If that was the case, it would be better for you to be in a less challenging class and focus on technique.

If, on the other hand, the teachers/SO's believe that your technique is good and that you are not being challenged by the class, then you need to discuss what would be the best solution for you. If they can offer one-on-one coaching, maybe that would work. Or perhaps this studio is not the right fit for you.

But it would be very helpful to get the outside perspective. I would have the same discussion with your previous studio as well.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jul 21, 2015 03:12 PM
I'm also confused. You're in fewer classes than the other girls, yet you feel like you should be doing the same number of dances that they are?
By oceanndust Comments: 20, member since Sat May 10, 2014
On Fri Aug 14, 2015 07:06 PM
I think maybe she meant her parents are paying just as much or about as much as the company dancers, and yet she is dancing less just because she is not in the company dances (am I right? Because I understand the frustration in that circumstance.) I would say maybe wait it out until the fall to see if the advanced classes are truly more advanced, maybe their fall classes will be different with different instructors, and therefore there may be different perspectives of what "advanced" is. If things don't change, I don't think the studio is a good fit for you. It feels like you're stuck, and you'll eventually get bored if you continue too long in classes that you simply don't find challenging. That's my problem at the moment with my current studio.

ReplySendWatch