Forum: Adults / College

College
I need advice for my future in dance!
By Halsmith Comments: 3, member since Tue Jul 21, 2015
On Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:14 AM

So basically I am having an academic identity crisis. I'm not totally sure where to start, but here goes nothing.

I have been dancing since I was four, at my family owned dance studio. My dance studio is 100% recreational and doesn't have a huge focus on technique. Nevertheless, I've worked hard independently and have grown to be one of the stronger dancers at my studio. Now I'm 19 and I'm attending a local college for Elementary Education, entering my sophomore year The problem is, I don't want to be a teacher. Or anything, really, besides a having a career in dance. I want to dance, or to have my own studio. I had considered going to college for dance when I was a senior in high school, but told myself that I wouldn't do well (being the strongest dancer at a low level studio wouldn't be enough, I told myself).

Now, I'm really regretting that. Like, a lot. I'm at the point where I'm considering transferring to a college that offers a major in dance. In the mean time, I've started taking a few technique classes per week at a more rigorous studio in addition to my regular classes at my family's studio. So I'm up to about 5 classes per week as opposed to 2.

I guess what I'm asking for is some advice. Specifically,

1. Is it possible to transfer in to a dance program after already being in college for a year? If so how would I do it?

2. Are there programs that will allow me to build my technique? In other words, do all dance programs expect you to have stellar technique when entering the program?

3. Lastly, do you guys have any general advice or recommendations for me? I'm kind of desperate here and I don't know what options I have for a career in dance.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

ReplySendWatch