Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Trying to fix one muscle imbalance leads to ANOTHER muscle imbalance (muscle compensation) -- Any ad
By BalletMulan
On Tue Jul 21, 2015 04:45 PM

Ok, so I realize that my body's 'safe-place' is where I find my balance from and move my other muscles from (it's also where I hold the most tension :)

--

For instance, I use my face, neck, shoulders, hands, low back, knees to balance the weight of my entire body -- all the weight that needs to be balanced it held in these parts. I also 'move' from that area: for instance, to move my arms overhead, I can't seem to dissociate my neck muscles from my arm muscles -- the overhead movement of my arm comes from my neck, instead of where it SHOULD come from -- my core.

But here is another issue I have: I cannot dissociate my diaphragm muscles from my core (abs and back) muscles.

For instance, when I DO focus on 'moving from', 'balancing from' my CORE (instead of from my neck, for example), my core AUTOMATICALLY stiffens (which actually causes my neck and shoulders to tense up anyways -- so we're back to square one ).

My core stiffens and I hold my breath -- I guess I have trouble understanding how to 'engage' my core WITHOUT holding my breath. When I DO 'release' my breath, so does my posture -- and not in a good way -- my core also 'releases' causing my upper body to droop forward (forward head posture), and butt to stick out even more. If I hold my breath -- my core stiffens, tenses, and so does the rest of my body, automatically.

What am I doing wrong, and do you have any advice to sahre with me?

Much appreciated : )

‚Äč

1 Replies to Trying to fix one muscle imbalance leads to ANOTHER muscle imbalance (muscle compensation) -- Any ad

re: Trying to fix one muscle imbalance leads to ANOTHER muscle imbalance (muscle compensation) -- An
By Storm_Trouper
On Sat Jul 25, 2015 03:30 AM
I'm curious to know, do you have a good teacher to work with?

ReplySendWatch