Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Strengthening
Trying to fix one muscle imbalance leads to ANOTHER muscle imbalance (muscle compensation) -- Any a
By BalletMulan Comments: 4, member since Tue Jul 21, 2015
On Tue Jul 21, 2015 05:04 PM

I use my neck too much : all my body weight weight that needs to be balanced it held in these parts. I also 'move' from that area -- the overhead movement of my arm comes from my neck, instead of where it SHOULD come from -- my core.

But, when I DO focus on 'moving from', 'balancing from' my CORE (instead of from my neck) my core AUTOMATICALLY stiffens (which actually causes my neck and shoulders to tense up anyways -- so we're back to square one ).

My core stiffens and I hold my breath. Help.

2 Replies to Trying to fix one muscle imbalance leads to ANOTHER muscle imbalance (muscle compensation) -- Any a

re: Trying to fix one muscle imbalance leads to ANOTHER muscle imbalance (muscle compensation) -- An
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:33 PM
Do you go to any sort of therapy for this? If you don't, would your insurance cover it?

I had knee surgery when I was 15. I limped and hobbled around on my bad knee, and put the extra strain on to the good one for so long, that my affected limp had become permanent. I had to spend some time in physical therapy learning how to walk normally again.

You should talk to the doctor, rather than attempt to fix this yourself.
re: Trying to fix one muscle imbalance leads to ANOTHER muscle imbalance (muscle compensation) -- An
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:57 PM
I suggest you read this blog, it contains a huge amount of really useful information about just this sort of muscle compensation. These posts are about breathing, diaphragm control and use and there's loads of things that will help you.

danceproject.ca . . .

Theres'a a few more here

danceproject.ca . . .

Another thing that really helped me find my core instead of my neck was Pilates, a good Pilates instructor will make you think about what your doing with your muscles as you exercise and the thinking behind the method is all about balancing out the muscle firing and compensation patterns.

ReplySendWatch