Forum: Highland / Highland - National

Highland - National
2016 Premiership steps (karma: 1)
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Tue Jul 21, 2015 08:57 PM

SOBHD page with link to the steps: www.sobhd.net . . .

The PDF directly: www.sobhd.net . . .

Discuss!

10 Replies to 2016 Premiership steps

re: 2016 Premiership steps
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Tue Jul 21, 2015 09:00 PM
In general, I'm loving the Premiership idea. Just gotta toss that out there. :)

Rather enjoying the Premiership dances/steps this year. Of course, it helps that for Barracks, they've chosen the steps I do anyway (I had the same luck with Laddie this year). And I'm chuffed that we get to do Earl *and* Lilt (two of my better dances). Was hoping for the four-beat side run step in jig, but oh well...
By punkqueeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1345, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:59 AM
I made an ideal list for Premiership, and this is pretty much it!

My only complaint is that the Earl steps make it really easy for dancers with no rhythm. I would have liked to see one of the double treble steps to weed out the dancers who are only "hoppy" and not good with the actual guts of the dance.
On Tue Jul 28, 2015 09:36 PM
Ah, I never thought of that with Earl!

I wonder if they would ever set the leap variation of the last step for Earl...
By girlfling Comments: 83, member since Sun May 15, 2011
On Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:05 PM
Dancing the Championship and Premiership is new for my daughter so forgive me if this is a crazy question, but how do you know what each step is? There are numbers listed for each dance but is there a place she can look up what the corresponding step is for each number? I see the list from last year gave a description of each step but the new one does not. Thank you.
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Wed Jul 29, 2015 04:57 AM
The books "highland dancing" (is the seventh edition the most recent?) and "the Scottish National Dances" will tell you all you need to know. Everyone should own these books as well as the hornpipe and jig book. Check with your teacher where to purchase and which type (SDTA, BADT or UKA) national book to buy.

Another good resource to see what steps look like is the highland dance steps website on tumbler although I don't think all the alternate steps are covered there.
On Mon Sep 14, 2015 09:14 PM
In class we were discussing the chase step, and the two possible variations. I liked the less-common Method A as soon as I saw it (what my classmates call the "hard" variation, but it actually worked well for me), but quickly realized it wouldn't work with next year's Premiership steps-- the book states in the note for this step that To enable the dancer to commence with strike heel, the Break on Bars 15 and 16 of the preceding step must finish with Ball-Dig LF in 3rd Rear Position. Similarly, Bars 7 and 8 of the step will finish as above.

And, of course, the step that comes prior to it this year (Donnybrook) ends with a pair of slaps/flaps and a stomp of the left foot in 4th position instead of a break.

Sadly, we couldn't think of any way to make it work, so even though my teacher had initially stated we could use either since the steps didn't specify, we realized that while Method A wasn't technically prohibited, it simply wouldn't work. :( (We're waiting for the step lecture to see if it might be addressed.)

(The "Note From the Technical Committee" at the beginning of the book does state All Breaks in the Irish Jig can be finished in any suitable position to accommodate the linking into the next movement, but I'm pretty sure that applies to the breaks only, and not to steps with no break that clearly prescribe a certain position on the last beat.)

Any thoughts?
By punkqueeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1345, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:17 AM
I think you're 100% on. It isn't mentioned in the Premiership Jig observations that the SOBHD put out, interestingly enough.
On Fri Sep 18, 2015 09:02 PM
Where do you find that at?
On Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:57 AM
It's on the SOBHD site in the section for teachers. If you don't have access, I can email it to you.
On Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:19 AM
Okay, so something that occurred to me tonight... Barracks is a STRANGE dance.

The first step consists of the first half of the break. The last step consists of the last half of the break. There's not quite enough "haha, I see what you did there" to make this NOT boring. (Speaking of which, a classmate and I are a bit bummed that our teacher keeps telling us we can't do the last step with arms in 2nd for the turns on the step itself but in 1st for the break, to make it slightly more interesting. Conversely, I'd also rather do the first step with different arms for step proper and break...)

The rest of the steps are mostly weird, like someone was totally out of inspiration and was like, "let's see... we'll have weird stuff involving backstepping, and steps with seemingly-random extensions, and since I'm really drained for ideas, we'll do the first step again *but turning*, and... ooh, I know, one like a shedding but your foot goes front-back-front instead!"

ReplySendWatch