Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Irish - Beginners
Not Progressing/Feeling Like I Want To Quit/Frustrated with Everything
By reelgirl59 Comments: 11, member since Sat Sep 13, 2014
On Wed Jul 22, 2015 08:23 PM

Sorry for the sort of long post:
I started Irish dance a few months before I turned 15 years old; I just turned 16 now. I love dance so much, but my parents could care less. They want me to do a sport that's local and cheap (my studio isn't that close to home). I look back and even convincing my parents to let me dance is a miracle in itself. It's hard being a late beginner - I'm a high schooler with 12 year olds and younger. My teacher says I'm very talented and calls me a vision, but I can't move up to a different level due to time and money restrictions. And though my teacher seems to think I'm doing well, I still am doing the same old steps while 7 year olds are moving up so rapidly! No one understands how much I crave a challenge. During a break from dance I taught myself traditional sets, choreographed a 2 1/2 step slip jig, parts of set dances, and a 3 step treble reel, copied steps from parade of champions, and learned a hornpipe and advanced treble jig put together for Oireachtas. I want more than just my same old novice steps. I want to move up so badly, but no one gets it. I don't know how I would tell this to my teacher, because I don't want to seem like a bragger. Yet how can I impress her and make her give me an opportunity to shine?
I would also love to feis, but my parents don't want me to. They don't seem to care how much I love to dance. It makes me angry when they view dance as a mere hobby. I want to compete, I want to be good, I want to excel! How to convince my parents??
When I see the slow pace at which I'm moving, I want to give up and quit always being with the little kids in class. I'm getting old too (especially compared to classmates), and I don't have forever to dance. Yet Irish dance is the first real passion I've ever discovered, and I want to be good so badly. And I'd love to compete and someday teach. Any advice? Sorry for the dramatic rant.

2 Replies to Not Progressing/Feeling Like I Want To Quit/Frustrated with Everything

re: Not Progressing/Feeling Like I Want To Quit/Frustrated with Everything (karma: 1)
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Thu Jul 23, 2015 08:27 AM
You sound like you have a passion for dance!

How much do you contribute financially to your classes? the gas to get to class? shoes? etc? If you love it that much, and want to continue, I would suggest a part time job, or babysitting to raise some money. Your parents might take you a little more seriously about it if you can say, here is the money for gas, or I would like to feis, here is the money for my entry fees, etc.

You also say you are doing the same old steps. Are you doing them well? Have you polished your technique thru out the steps? How is your turn out? are your feet crossed? Is your timing spot on?

As far as talking to your teacher and not feeling like a braggart, how about phrasing it something like, "What would I have to do/accomplish for you to teach me some new/harder steps?" No one could call that bragging!

Hope these things help and you can continue with your Irish dancing!
re: Not Progressing/Feeling Like I Want To Quit/Frustrated with Everything
By GannTheGloriousmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 457, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Thu Jul 23, 2015 02:29 PM
If your parents don't want to take the time to take you to a feis, maybe ask if you can tag along with another dance family. I'm sure some are bound to have extra car space and willing to take you if you offer to help with gas or trade for babysitting, yard work, etc.

ReplySendWatch