Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Irish - Beginners
Getting back into it...
By ereekaye Comments: 1, member since Wed Jul 22, 2015
On Wed Jul 22, 2015 09:38 PM

I danced somewhat competitively for about 7 years, from 6 years old to 13, and absolutely loved it. I quit to pursue acting, and now I'm at uni (studying acting, woohoo!) and taking a beginning irish dance class. I'm loving it, remembering just how much I loved this before, and I want to progress faster than class is currently moving.

We're on our hardshoe unit, and I'm wondering what I can do to really strengthen my technique on a daily basis, and where I can beginner-level find dances online to teach myself (I don't remember any of the choreography from way back when). We're going to be learning dances in class of course, but an hour a day isn't enough, I want more!!

Really, I just wanna get back into the swing of things. Any advice would be AWESOME.

1 Replies to Getting back into it...

re: Getting back into it... (karma: 1)
By reelgirl59 Comments: 11, member since Sat Sep 13, 2014
On Thu Jul 23, 2015 04:16 PM
I've had to scour the internet for new steps for myself too, so I'll share some of my sources with you.

Rince Nasidhe has a ton of videos with various steps on Youtube. I think it might be meant for a school, but you can use them for fun.
www.youtube.com . . .

Beth Weglarz choreographs her own dances for the sake of Youtube.
www.youtube.com . . .

A beginner routine video by Howcast.
www.youtube.com . . .

Here's a cute little girl explaining how to do the reel.
www.youtube.com . . .

This may be more complex than what you are looking for, but it is an intermediate/advanced reel if you are up for a
challenge.
www.youtube.com . . .

And finally Howcast's Youtube channel has a lot of Irish dance tutorials on how to do moves in both hard and soft shoe.

Hope this helps and congratulations for getting back into Irish dance!

ReplySendWatch