Forum: Irish / Irish

Losing the love?
By CarleIrishDancer
On Thu Jul 23, 2015 08:11 PM

I started Irish dance when I turned 11. For 2 1/2 glorious years, I was in love. I found my passion and it was my life. In 2014, my teacher invited me to do her Oireachtas figure team. I was ecstatic and eager to learn. Then for 4 months, we practiced for so long. I had class 3 days a week in addition to weekend, lengthy practices. I got burned out. For once, I was dreading dance days. My free days were my favorite. At times, I wanted to quit. By the time Oireachtas was over, I was relieved. I thought winter break would give me time to recover. I never did. Almost a year later, I still don't like dance that much. I've done tons of feisianna, got a new dress, and got a couple Novice firsts. But nothing helps me get the love back. I'm too old to afford a break, but I don't want to dance. I can't quit either. I really miss the love I had. Nothing else ever made me feel that happy. Does anyone have advice to help me love dance again?

2 Replies to Losing the love?

re: Losing the love?
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 24, 2015 07:36 AM
If getting a new dress, doing tons of competitions, and winning isn't reigniting your passion, then you are definitely burned out. Even though you say you can't afford it because of your age, I really do think you need a break.

I'm 25 and I guess you could say I'm on a break right now. I retired at the end of 2014 after getting totally burned out, I didn't really like dance anymore and I was just plain tired of it all. I thought I was ready to move on to the next thing in my life. However, here we are about 7 months later and I'm thinking of coming back.

Sometimes what we need is time away to realize how much we love something. It doesn't have to be for very long, it just needs to be as long as you need. You might be craving to get back to classes after a month or maybe it'll be 6 months. Either way, a break is healthy.
re: Losing the love?
By CarleIrishDancer
On Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:18 AM
Thanks for your help. When I loved dance, the time between class or feisianna was unbearable. While my mom would never let me completely break without tearing me we guilt, I can at least downsize. Take a few less classes, less feising , and maybe just enjoy my other hobbies. You're right. The only way I'll love it again is if I realize just how much it means to me and how much I'll miss it.

ReplySendWatch