Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Strengthening
High kicks!!
By avega Comments: 2, member since Sat Jul 25, 2015
On Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:41 AM

Hi, I'd like to know if anyone had any exercises or stretches that would help me improve my kicks? I'd like to be able to kick to my face. I'm not very good at them, so anything would be helpful.

4 Replies to High kicks!!

re: High kicks!!
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Jul 27, 2015 07:15 AM
If you're doing your battements properly then they go to the side of your face, not right into your face.

First of all how many classes are you getting at the moment? More classes means more work towards your goal. What is your stretching routine? Sensible stretching will help too.
By Ballerina_Bunny Comments: 30, member since Wed Sep 10, 2014
On Wed Jul 29, 2015 02:05 PM
Edited by Ballerina_Bunny (269885) on 2015-07-29 14:07:43 I wanted to add the bit about being warm when you stretch
Oh, high kicks...

If you don't already have your splits, you're definitely going to want to work on them to achieve a nice high kick. Over splits are also something to work on. While in your splits it'll help to stretch forward and put your head to your leg, since that is essentially what you're doing in a high kick. You might also want to do some quad stretches to loosen up your quads.

A good way to build strength for high kicks, so that they're more controlled, is to do a series of grand battements at the barre. When doing them focus on being quick to throw your leg up, but try and be controlled bringing it down. Do as many as you like and, as always, try and be even! Do both sides!

As with any extension, a strong core will help you. Do crunches. Do planks. Work your core.

Also, always make sure you're warm before you stretch or start high-kicking. Being warm before you stretch not only helps you to stretch more deeply and effectively, it also helps prevent injury. After class is a good time to stretch!
By lamonasta Comments: 50, member since Sun Dec 29, 2013
On Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:25 PM
Our concert piece this year has A LOT of high kicks, but for me they're more like medium kicks! Hopefully splits + core + battements will help me get a bit higher :)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:29 PM
As someone who has accidentally kicked themselves in the face, you don't want to do that....

Aim for the side of your face.

ReplySendWatch