Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
I need a recipe.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Aug 02, 2015 04:09 PM

My dad is on a feeding tube but can eat certain kinds of food. He can eat my soft, buttery, creamy mashed potatoes, creamy, soft scrambled eggs, you get the idea. My sister thought he might be able to eat some soft fish. When I went to the fish counter I asked the guy who worked their if there was a fish that wasn't fishy tasting, was soft and flaky and didn't have bones we had to take out of it. He recommended Cod and I bought some. He doesn't like anything to spicy so I can't use a lot of seasoning. I thought maybe just some butter? How should I cook it? I'd like to try it and see if he can eat it. If not, then we can do something with it to make it not so bland for us.

Anybody have any idea on how to cook this? We have an electric stove if that makes a difference. If I know he can't eat it then I won't buy it for him anymore but if he likes it, then that could be something else he can eat. Stove top in a frying pan or in the oven? Bake or broil?

7 Replies to I need a recipe.

re: I need a recipe.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sun Aug 02, 2015 09:56 PM
Lemon juice can give fish a really nice flavor. You an also mix it with butter to make a lemon butter. I usually just pan fry, but baking works too. Another fish you could maybe try too is mani mahi. That's my favorite and not fishy tasting at all.
On Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:20 PM
I'm not sure how my dad would feel about lemon. He used to eat a soup that Campbell's makes that is carrot ginger. It's a thick, creamy soup. He loved it until one day he said it was to spicy. I didn't do a thing to the soup except open up the carton and as far as I know they didn't change their recipe. My dad's taste buds are changing. He won't eat my scrambled eggs if I put salt and pepper in them like I do to mine. I put a tiny bit of Applewood Smoked Salt and he eats it. I mean a tiny bit.

How long do I cook it and at what temperature? It has to be soft and flaky, it can't get hard or he can't eat it.
On Tue Aug 18, 2015 08:10 PM
Dad couldn't eat the fish. I don't know what the problem is except that he won't do his throat exercises. When he was in the home, he had to do them everyday except for the weekends when they had off. We have to make sure he does them everyday.

So the next night I made some for myself. I added melted butter, EVOO, S&P & some breadcrumbs on top. Wrapped it in aluminum foil, double wrapped, and put it in a 400 degree oven for 15 min. It came out moist, it wasn't fishy and I loved it! I just wish dad was able to eat it. My sister seems to think he can eat rainbow tout instead. I'm not sure who sells it and how expensive it will be. We live inland so a lot of fish for us is not very fresh. He said he just didn't like it so maybe he could have eaten it but he didn't like it. He did eat the tiny carrots I put in with it and the mashed potatoes I made. We will try again but its good to know I liked it.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:32 PM
When I was little "Cod Fish" was a typical Friday night fare in all the Irish Catholic homes except mine (both my parent were allergic to fish). I remember being fascinated by the fact that the fish and the mashed potatoes looked exactly alike.

The moms, as I recall, steamed the fish in a pressure cooker and it basically fell apart... they added butter and salt and pepper... only....and mashed it up with the potato masher and served it with an ice cream scoop just like the mashed potatoes.

Perhaps your dad needs it pureed as well. I'd give it another try as it seems to be softer than most fish. Added moisture will also make it softer. Good luck.

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:52 PM
I'm Catholic too so I remember fish on Fri. I think that is why, at least in the schools in our town, they have pizza on Fri. in schools. He didn't seem to cough when he ate it, and that usually means it's going down the wrong way but he said he didn't like it. It was very moist and flaky because I also made it in the foil which steamed it. I will try what you said though. Thanks for the info.
By hummingbird Comments: 10410, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Aug 19, 2015 02:54 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2015-08-19 14:55:25
Have you tried fish in a white or cheese sauce? You could also combine the fish and mashed potato for him and make a fish pie. The flavours are mild and it's a very comforting food to have.
On Wed Aug 19, 2015 08:36 PM
I used to give him meat loaf. I made a very moist meat loaf and drowned it in gravy. He ate it a few times but then he couldn't eat it anymore. The white cheese sauce? Good idea. I might try that.

When I make his mashed potatoes I make something called Cowboy Mashed Potatoes. The recipe calls for finally diced carrots and frozen corn cooked with the potatoes and then mashed with the potatoes. I can't remember if it has cheese in it. He can't eat the corn but the carrots get totally mashed up and he loves it! I add cheese. I'll try it with the fish. He might like it.

Thanks for all the help. It's so hard to feed him and I know now that he has gotten used to having food, he does want to eat, he just doesn't want to do his throat exercises which will allow him to eat more things.

ReplySendWatch