Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
BMI is so freaking off for me?! Bod pod testing
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Aug 06, 2015 01:04 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2015-08-06 13:05:26

Today I went and got bod pod tested. I did research on it and they said they are within 1% of results within the underwater testing. They use air instead and it is apparently pretty accurate.

My BMI is 21, so I was expecting to get at least a "normal" reading. I got 33.3% fat and 66.7% lean. Ummmm what!?!! I am not the skinnest gal by any means, but I got put in the excess fat category.
This test is as accurate as you can get, although the group that is the most inaccurate is lean young women.

I am not too worried about this because my goal is to build more muscle and these are just numbers. I'm trying not to be upset but I am surprised that I had such a huge difference between what I thought.

My resting metabolic rate is apparently 1,156 calories. Ummmm that sucks... No wonder I have a hard time losing weight! ( I even posted a thread a year ago).

At least now I know that it isn't due to a lack of will power or losing self control. I actually have a low calorie maintence in general, so I am not able to lose as weight quickly. I should apparently be eating 1400 calories to MAINTAIN my body weight. I always felt like a failure because I couldn't lose 2 lbs a week like my bf. Apparently the MOST I can lose safely is less then .5 lbs a week

I'm glad that I was able to actually get tested and find out more about my own body. I get retested in 3 month so I am not even going to look at the scale every week. I am just going to start weight lifting and try to gain some muscle to speed up my metabolism.

Has anyone else gotten Bod Pod tested? I am curious if your number was what you expected?
22.1-30% is considered healthy according to this test for women.

4 Replies to BMI is so freaking off for me?! Bod pod testing

re: BMI is so freaking off for me?! Bod pod testing (karma: 1)
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3639, member since Wed Jan 15, 2003
On Thu Aug 06, 2015 02:49 PM
That's very cool that you were able to do that!

I've done a done of body composition testing over the years, but none as accurate as that. That being said, my percent body fat percentage has always been higher than I expected, even when I was super lean, 18 years old, and dancing 30+ hours a week. For females after puberty, it's extremely difficult (and somewhat unhealthy!) to be below a certain point and maintain that.

That being said, I'm a little bit surprised by your number as well, as 33.3% body fat can be considered obese in some classification systems, which you are obviously NOT. Here is a bit of an overview about the limitations of using the bod pod.

As far as your resting metabolic rate, don't forget to factor in your activity as well. I'd venture a guess that being as active throughout the day as you are with dance and other activities, you can tack on another couple hundred calories to your daily expenditure (i.e. you don't need to eat less than 1,156 cal/day to lose weight.) Knowing that though, I think it's even more important to focus on calorie-dense foods and foods high in good fat, complex carbohydrates and fiber to keep you full for longer.

Hopefully that helps a bit!
re: BMI is so freaking off for me?! Bod pod testing
On Thu Aug 06, 2015 03:07 PM
I am going to try underwater testing at my 6 month mark along with bod pod to see differences.

Someone who is similar in height and build as me, have used both and she has said they were off by about 2%. Either way, I started a new fitness program so I am super excitied to see results! I don't like the height part of rock climbing though.
On Thu Aug 06, 2015 03:17 PM
WebstAr and other fitness professionals. Does this look like 33% BF in your opinion and experience?

I am not sure if because we have larger people in society now, I don't know what a true 33% looks like. I know I am not obese but this scale they gave me is really confusing. I tried to find photos of what other 33% look like on a similar build, but I haven't had good luck.

I promise cookies and a cherry on top for your help!
By oceanndust Comments: 20, member since Sat May 10, 2014
On Sat Aug 15, 2015 01:42 AM
One thing you absolutely have to remember is not to compare your weight loss results to any male! Males are designed to generally have much faster metabolisms than women, so making comparisons or seeing who can lose the most weight the fastest just isn't realistic. I have never been tested, but it is perfectly normal to not necessarily have your BMI correspond with your body fat percentage. I am sure you're perfectly fine, even if you are not happy with the results of your body fat percentage, the amount of fat you have is truly no indication of how healthy or unhealthy you are. There are skinny people with loads of health problems based on how awful they eat, the only difference is that they have a faster metabolism. If your amount of fat is bothering you however, I would just try your best to stay patient and positive and take the measures to lose weight in a healthy way, as I'm sure you already know. Don't beat yourself up about anything!

ReplySendWatch