Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

I am such a coward! Yikes!
By pointeless467member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:07 PM

Ok, here's the story.
I used to be quite active on dance.net back in the day, but I stopped going online once I've stopped dancing.

But I have an "itch" that only dancing can scratch. I want to dance again. I NEED to dance again.

However, I'm 26 now. I quit dancing when I was around 17. I'm rusty, I'm heavier than I was - I'm too scared I'd make a complete fool of myself. Plus, I only found ONE studio in my area that teaches an adult group! What the eff?

I need reassurance. I need to hear people were in my shoes before, and they went back to dance class and it was great for them. I need to know I'm not crazy for being so petrified of coming back.

Mostly, I need to know people still dance after turning 17 or 18, even if not professionally...

Please, could you all share your stories? Bad, good, funny, sad, weird - any story will do...

15 Replies to I am such a coward! Yikes!

re: I am such a coward! Yikes!
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 14, 2015 08:08 AM
In my balletclass we had a 70+ woman who still danced with us. She eventually died of cancer, her death was the only reason that made her stop (really, she even came when she was already sick).
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:56 AM
Edited by magdalene (178126) on 2015-08-14 10:57:43
Go for it! You'll never be any younger than you are right now.
By hummingbird
On Fri Aug 14, 2015 03:29 PM
I've taught many adult ballet classes over the years, some of my adult students had danced as children, some danced professionally or semi professionally and lots never danced as children and were complete beginners as adults.

The main thing is that they all wanted to be there, not one of them had a pushy mom who wanted them to dance, they had decided to be there themselves.

And as far as adult dancers go you're a spring chicken still!

Go for it, don't spend your life thinking about doing things and never actually doing them.
By LoriCook
On Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:01 PM
Do the things that bring you joy. Don't be afraid to look foolish, if you are keeping fit and having fun that is great! There are so many positive aspects of any dance, it's totally worth it,
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member
On Sun Aug 16, 2015 03:32 AM
I won't waste your time in regards to all my injuries and ailments. What I CAN tell you is that if I couldn't dance I would be in agony.

May I humbly suggest returning to dance in stages, letting your body recondition, stretching, yoga, maybe use the rim of the kitchen sink or counter top as a semi barre, so that you can practice? I'm sure your muscle memory will remember, not to mention if you kept notes, a journal, sketches...?

Little steps! Little steps forward! WHO is the coward?!

!! Go Dance :D !!
By pointeless467member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:39 AM
Well, I have an update.

About 2 hours after writing this post I got in touch with an old dance-mate, since she's teaching Irish Dancing nowadays, and asked her if she knew of any adult ballet lessons around town.

After calling a few studios, I litterally "ran out of steam" after each studio had adult classes on days and hours that I work on.

So I called the old friend back and asked her if she maybe knows about a studio outside of town. She said she doesn't, but she did offer me a free tryout class in her studio, and so my journey with Irish dance begins.

And I got my butt kicked. I was way better than I expected - there was a guest teacher (from Ireland) at the studio and she told me I'm brilliant and I should never stop dancing.

However - I can't move my legs at all since Friday. I feel like my calves and my thighs. I tried every strech I know but nothing seems to ease my pain.

I am the happiest I've been in a decade, though. I made the right choice. Hopefully, I will find a studio to take Ballet in as well.

Do you have any tips to relieve pulled muscles, by any chance? :(
By hummingbird
On Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:49 AM
Do you have a foam roller? If not they're not very expensive and a very good investment for sore muscles. Get one and roll out your legs on it.
By Gracie220
On Fri Aug 28, 2015 03:42 PM
Edited by Gracie220 (272698) on 2015-08-28 15:46:55
I'm a former dancer, too. I'm 30 now. I quit when I was about 15 and I regretted it as I got older. Ballet has always appealed to me, and I often wondered if I could go back and take classes. Turns out, adults of all ages and sizes take ballet classes. Some even do pointe, eventually. I ended up getting back into ballet a few years ago and I'm glad I did. Ballet is such a fun and beautiful way to exercise as an adult.

If you have a space where you can practice a little at home, use it! If you can, get a full-length mirror and a pretty new pair of ballet slippers and practice some basics before you go back to class. That way you'll be more confident when you do go back - though classes sometimes have women who've never even taken ballet before, so you probably have nothing to worry about.

The Irish dancing sounds like fun!

Good luck! :)
By LoriCook
On Fri Aug 28, 2015 05:05 PM
I would ice my legs and take ibuprofen. If it's just sore then that's a good pain. Should mostly go away in 4 days or so.
By CeCedancerr5678
On Sat Aug 29, 2015 01:34 PM
Hello. I'm a new member, and I know this is a stupid question, but how do I post a question?
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Sat Aug 29, 2015 05:18 PM
CeCe, Welcome to dance-dot-net.
To post a question on your own subject, you go to the appropriate board. For your question here, it probably would be the "Welcome" board under "general". Near the top of the board, you will find a button labeled "Post". Click that button, and another page will come up. Then you follow the directions on that page.

Incidentally, I have asked the Mods to move your post and this post to the Welcome board.
By CeCedancerr5678
On Sun Aug 30, 2015 01:01 PM
Thank you so much! I just posted a question to Pointe-Beginner!
By lhc12
On Tue Sep 01, 2015 04:48 PM
Late replying here, but your post is so exciting to me! I started my dance journey with ballet (started at 19, starting my 3rd-ish year, non-consecutively). My fiance, however, teaches Irish dance and convinced me to try it. I've done 2 years of that, also.

For the muscles: I use a foam roller, a stick roller, a racquet ball, and a foot rubz ball. I also soak in epsom salt, and sometimes make an ice massage (I cut out the bottom half or two-thirds from a solo cup, drop it it into an intact one, fill it with water and freeze it overnight, then run it along sore muscles). I don't use all of those at once, it depends on what is sore. Irish will kick your butt (and just remember that you should always kick your butt while dancing!), but it will be an awesome workout.

Ballet and Irish are very fun together. There is a lot of crossover between the two, but each is also differently different. I hope you can find a ballet class and will keep up with Irish, also!
By balletisawesome
On Sun Sep 13, 2015 06:18 PM
Just do it.

I did it and I was a guy in the class and I was so glad I did it. I'm a little bigger too. and even if you don't workout, ballet is good because it helps stabilize your weight.

Like say you're 220, you're gonna be 220 as long as you're dancing in dance classes and giving your all at them, yea know.

I'm feeling the no ballet effect right now, i've gained probably 20-25lbs. :(.
By FyreFly
On Mon Sep 14, 2015 02:09 PM
Definitely do it! I just did pretty much the same thing. I found a studio that offered ballet and modern classes to adults, and I'm finally in a place where I can afford the extra expense of classes. Last week was my first week back in the studio and it was wonderful. We have a couple older women in my class; one that looks to be about 70, one that's probably close to 40, me, and then the rest are teen beginners.

I was definitely sore too, so I just propped my feet up and took a couple ibuprofen, and was fairly good to go. I hope you find a place that can work with your work schedule!

If not I agree with trying to find space and a mirror to work on basics. Best of luck to ya!

ReplySendWatch