Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Girls & Guys
Thoughts of quitting Dance please help!!
By Ashfire02 Comments: 2, member since Sat Aug 15, 2015
On Sat Aug 15, 2015 08:29 PM
Edited by Ashfire02 (274769) on 2015-08-15 20:31:25

Hey so I'm 13 years old and female. I only take ballet because of a tight money budget and go to a Dance Club at school. Recently I have thought about quitting dance. I have been dancing since I was three( Tap and Jazz One year Ballet 10). I don't sound like a committed dancer compared to other people out there but I really like dancing.

Reasons I have wanted to quit is well in my class I don't have any friends. Everyone else go to classes together every single day and I just take ballet twice a week. They're all rich kids and can act like it sometimes too. Every single class I feel really uncomfortable because I'm always the "shy kid" Also I am a good dancer but not the best. They have their splits down and can do more piourettes than me things like that. Everyone else is better even though they are all younger than me. Come recital day they all chit chat and change costumes while I'm stuck sitting by myself with one costume.I would still work out and go to Dance Club but just quit going to a studio. I am going to High School and plan to take classes there and start back up again. I know I sound like I'm complaining and unmotivated but I really need help.

This summer I decided to take a break from all activities and to just rest. So going back would be really tough and embarrassing.
So yeah do you have any advice? Also if I do stay should I start taking other classes? I don't plan on being professional I just do it for fun and would probably quit after High School anyway(at age 18)

4 Replies to Thoughts of quitting Dance please help!!

re: Thoughts of quitting Dance please help!!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:33 PM
...so?

So they get more costumes than you. And they can do more turns than you. In the moment, that stuff is hard to deal with, but that's not even the important things.

Do you love it? Then keep doing it. And be the best you can be at it.
By Kittydoodles Comments: 76, member since Sun Sep 14, 2014
On Sun Aug 16, 2015 08:19 AM
Does your school have teen classes? Sometimes a school will have a division open to late starters or dancers who aren't able to commit to multiple days of training per week. That way, you'd be in a friendlier atmosphere of people who also are working on things like splits and pirouettes. I would check your current school or others in your area. Good luck; I hope you keep dancing! :)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6819, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:26 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2015-08-16 12:28:00 typo
If you can see you way clear to stick it out just a little longer you may be pleasantly surprised.

Right now you look at the other kids and feel like an outsider but you might be surprised to find some of them are just as shy and insecure as you are and cling to the security of that group although they may actually have more in common with others, you for example.

Your age is about the most difficult I can recall in my own youth. I can't think of a singe adult who says, "I sure do wish I was 13, 14 or 15 again! What a feeling!" NOPE.

Your ballet education will serve you well in all areas of dance and theater and in high school it will set you apart from the other after school dancers without training. You will be stronger, more flexible, have better balance, and be less likely to injure yourself. Don't compare yourself to the others in the class. Of course they are going to have more skills is they train three times as many hours. That doesn't mean your skills aren't also admirable. Don't sell yourself short.

Image hotlink - 'http://data3.whicdn.com/images/90582555/large.jpg'

Keep On Dancing*
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6819, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:12 PM
^too late to edit....just want to say "sorry for all the typos"

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch