Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

dress code question
By bluestorm5432
On Sun Aug 16, 2015 04:38 PM

What does this statement mean,it is in many studios policies but it seems kind of vague because it states warmups can be worn at the begging of class?
Students are encouraged to arrive and leave the studio wearing their dance attire. However, it is recommended that street clothes be worn over dance clothes when entering and exiting the building.

I take it as that since thet have changing rooms they do not want you to wear dance cloths to class even under coverups. They want you to change in the changing room and go to class wearing the required dress code. After class they want you to be wearing your required dress code and change into street cloths in the changing room.

For example for me:

I would arrive wearing shorts and tshirt.
Go to the changing room in change into my dancebelt ,tshirt and tights.
Walk/wait to the classroom wearing my dancebelt,tshirt and tights.
Once in classroom put my slippers on.
Do class.
Take my slippers off before leaving classroom.
Walk to changing room in my dancebelt,tshirt,and tights.
Change into my tshirt and shorts and go home.

Am I understanding that statement correctly?

7 Replies to dress code question

re: dress code question
By Kittydoodles
On Sun Aug 16, 2015 05:59 PM
I see where you misunderstood, but it literally means you wear some regular clothes over your leo and tights. :) we had a similar rule at my old school, I think it just is to protect kids from creepers and keep them warm in the elements.
By wembley
On Sun Aug 16, 2015 06:02 PM
And the comment about warm ups being worn at the beginning of class means that you can start class in your dancewear with some warm ups over it, but they expect that you will take the warm ups off after a few exercises. Warm ups could be warm pants, a sweater or wrap top, and leg warmers.
By luv2plie
On Sun Aug 16, 2015 09:18 PM
What they mean by that is that you can have some warm ups in the beginning of ballet class at the barres. It needs to come off after a few mins of class.

At my studio ALL dancers needs to remove their warm up after the first set of plies.

Where I take class, they have a strict dress code which is good.

Yes the guys have to wear tight for ballet classes
By Storm_Trouper
On Fri Aug 21, 2015 08:19 PM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-08-21 20:22:36
It sounds to me like they want to discourage students from using the (limited?) change room space (to avoid congestion?) for reasons only they can say.

So they are encouraging students to come dressed for class already, under their normal street clothes or else sweat top and bottom (assuming temperate climate and season; wear lighter if hotter, more clothing if colder); and to put on a sweat shirt and sweat pants when they leave (hence 'sweat') rather than change out of damp-with-perspiration togs in the change room. Again, it depends if the outdoor temperature is 85F or 15F what you wear to conceal your dance class wear.

This means when you arrive, you change out of your street clothes, and optionally don leg warmers, long leeve shirt or other warm wear. (Stages in theatres can be cold so require warm up apparel. Sometimes an injury benefits from keeping it warm.) You then have to put your clothes somewhere during the class. Of course, you put on your dance footwear in the hallway outside the studio or in the studio just prior to the start of the class and remove any warm up wear when the teacher expects you to.
By netmum
On Sat Aug 22, 2015 04:34 PM
We call it underchanging. You wear your leotard & tights underneath a tracksuit & t shirt.

It is seen as unprofessional to be seen in dancewear outside the studio.
By Storm_Trouper
On Mon Aug 24, 2015 03:45 PM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-08-24 16:33:05
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-08-24 16:33:15
deleted error
By Storm_Trouper
On Mon Aug 24, 2015 04:11 PM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-08-24 16:21:49
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-08-24 16:30:45
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-08-24 16:39:48
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-08-24 16:40:28
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-08-24 16:42:35
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-08-24 16:44:15
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2015-08-24 16:47:06
On reflection, it is a bit ambiguous; and different places can have differing customs, expectations and interpretations. For example, expressions can have varying connotations.

Studio = just the particular classroom where teaching takes place eg. Studio A or #2
Studio = the entire footprint (reception, teaching areas, hallways, waiting areas, washrooms, change rooms, etc) all within a building

Warm Up apparel for ballet can mean track suit, sweat pants/ shirt, leg warmers, etc. and could also broadly be considered as a kind of 'dance wear', 'dance attire' or 'dance accessory' when it is specifically connected to dance i.e. Attire for pre- and post- dance workout

Cover Up apparel can mean Warm Up duds, track suit, street clothes, etc.

I think it's fine to put on your class dance shoes (slippers) in the changeroom or washroom (when you put on your tights, dance socks or whatever) and then walk over to, wait to, and then enter into the actual classroom 'studio'; you can be wearing track pants and a warm-up top too when leaving the changing area. Or not.

Depending on the school it may or may not be acceptable for students to walk around or wait in the hallways outside the studio rooms before and after taking a class wearing only just their tights etc. uncovered. Some academies require track or sweat suits be worn by students to cover themselves up whenever they are outside the studio room proper, and outside the building as well. In a large boarding academy, for example, students can go to academic classes and lunch areas not dressed in just tights and leo, or tights and t-shirt. In a community center, a person might cover up when going from the changeroom through 'public spaces' to get to the actual dance studio (e.g. on another floor). So it all depends.

It's also a question of modesty as well as etiquette/ professionalism and temperature comfort to have dance classroom clothes that you might be wearing covered up in the presence of non-dancers / the public. It's the social context and decorum that count; common sense too. Seeing a male ballet student dressed for class or performance out of context can be unsettling for some people.

'encouraged to arrive and leave the studio (room) wearing (just) dance attire.' I can interpret to mean that it is fine NOT to have to wear cover ups once inside the building; but that optionally you can enter the studio (room) wearing warm ups / dance cover ups. (Leg warmers aren't 'cover ups' (?)

Hope that helps.

ReplySendWatch