Forum: Irish / Irish - Feiseanna

Irish - Feiseanna
Help - I am new to this and need help buying a dress for my daughter
By LMallaburn Comments: 22, member since Sat Aug 15, 2015
On Sun Aug 16, 2015 05:35 PM

My daughter has been dancing on and off for several years but is becoming more interested and is now competing. She uses her class dress at the moment but we have agreed to buy a dress for her but do not want to spend too much in case it is another fad (although I don't think it is this time). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

12 Replies to Help - I am new to this and need help buying a dress for my daughter

re: Help - I am new to this and need help buying a dress for my daughter
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Sun Aug 16, 2015 05:56 PM
Solo dresses can be very expensive. Be prepared for sticker shock if you haven't been looking at prices before!

First thing would be to check with her TC to see if she is allowed to have a dress at her current level, and to see if the TC has any preferences. Some TC's are very particular, some are quite laid back.

Would definitely recommend buying a used dress. There are multiple sites that sell used dresses. You can also go to a feis and try dresses on as a lot of people will bring them there to sell them.

But if you are not sure if it is a "fad" for your dtr, let her keep using her school dress. Many dancers go all the way thru novice in a school dress and it is not unusual to see dancers in PW in a school dress also. A solo dress is NOT required and in fact, in beginner and adv beginner, they aren't allowed (CLRG)

Also if she is in a growing phase, let her get pretty close to outgrowing her school dress before putting more money out before you have to!

Hope this helps some!
On Mon Aug 17, 2015 01:21 AM
Thanks so much for your advice. I am about to sound ignorant again here but what is a "TC"?
Her dancing teacher said she should do "prelim" level. She has done several shows and she is supposed to be quite good. I get the impression that it not a fad this time and I am encouraging her for both enjoyment and fitness.
We have looked at dresses at the feises she has been to but nothing is suitable (38" bust is quite unusual for many dancers) and looking online seems to be the best option. And you are right - the prices are more than I paid for my wedding dress in most cases!!
Are the dresses on this site just for members?
Thanks again
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Mon Aug 17, 2015 07:49 AM
TC is short for TCRG which are the initials given to a certified Irish dance teacher.

and yes a 38" bust is going to be harder to find a dress for. Remember to have an extra inch or two at the bust and an extra inch at the waist in the dress to allow her to breathe and to bend over to tie her shoes.

The dresses on this site are available to anyone, and I am sure their sellers would LOVE to hear from you! There is frequently room for negotiation when buying/selling a dress.

Sometimes people will post on here, or on the Voy boards asking for a dress with certain measurements and will get responses.

Other places to look are
www.dance-again.com . . . (seems to be used a lot)
www.feisdresses.com
www.usedsolodresses.com
getthatdress.com
they come up on ebay too, sometimes.

Good luck finding one!
On Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:28 AM
Thanks so much for your help - I'll have another look and maybe advertise as suggested. It's a minefield!!
By iluviddresses Comments: 187, member since Mon Nov 03, 2008
On Wed Aug 19, 2015 07:40 PM
I agree with Hop_123 regarding sizing; make sure you get a dress that is at least 1-2 inches bigger than your dancer's measurements. Remember that it is generally easier to take a dress in than let it out. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of used dresses out there for a 38" bust, but you can post a wanted ad here on DDN. If you are in the US, you can post a wanted ad on the Irish Dance Dresses Facebook page: www.facebook.com . . .
I wish you the best of luck in your search.
On Thu Aug 20, 2015 01:38 AM
Thanks for your advice. She would have to be a difficult size!!
By kdsf Comments: 214, member since Thu Jan 15, 2009
On Mon Aug 24, 2015 07:31 AM
I have a couple of brand new off-the-rack dresses available that may meet your size requirements depending on the rest of your daughter's measurements. I am happy to make minor alterations without charge. The blue one has a 41 inch bust and the black one has a 39 inch bust. You can see more photos and information at these links:
Blue: www.flickr.com . . .
Black: www.flickr.com . . .
Feel free to contact me via pm or email at kdsfdresses at gmail dot com if you have any questions.
On Mon Aug 24, 2015 09:24 AM
Thanks for your reply. My daughter quite likes the black one but I can't inbox you as I have not made enough posts?!?!
By kdsf Comments: 214, member since Thu Jan 15, 2009
On Mon Aug 24, 2015 02:04 PM
I just responded to your message. Feel free to email me directly to discuss.
kdsfdresses at gmail dot com
By mrstaggart Comments: 24, member since Fri Sep 04, 2015
On Wed Sep 09, 2015 09:19 PM
If you are buying a used dress, be sure to ask if you can return it if it doesn't fit. This usually means you will have to cover the postage both ways, but it is less expensive than getting stuck with a dress that doesn't fit.
By mrstaggart Comments: 24, member since Fri Sep 04, 2015
On Thu Sep 10, 2015 06:41 AM
If you are buying a used dress, be sure to ask if you can return it if it doesn't fit. This usually means you will have to cover the postage both ways, but it is less expensive than getting stuck with a dress that doesn't fit.
By mem53100 Comments: 104, member since Sun Jul 17, 2011
On Mon Sep 21, 2015 05:08 AM
what is the age of your daughter i have a 10-11 pink and white dress for sale

ReplySendWatch