Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Terrified of fouettes...
By Ballerina_Bunny
On Tue Aug 18, 2015 07:27 PM

Hi,

So I've found myself terrified of fouettes on pointe... I haven't attempted them in centre (I mean, I don't WANT to kill myself, now do I?) but even at the barre I have problems doing the fouette exercise where you plié with one hand on the barre and leg extended to the front, then bring to the side, spring up on pointe and do a passé turn like you would a fouette. If I do this exercise without the turn, I'm fine for the most part, but it's a mess if I attempt the turn. I get scared, I guess, and I can never seem to do the turn without tilting away from the barre before I can get to plié again... I guess I feel out of control?

I don't know, I just... grrr... anyways, I guess I'd appreciate any tips or some common sense about how I shouldn't be so scared, or if anyone has/had similar fears?

3 Replies to Terrified of fouettes...

re: Terrified of fouettes...
By Merfi
On Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:10 AM
I totally feel ya on this. I don't think there are any easy answers really, except for making sure that your fouettes en demi pointe are super solid, and continuing to practise at the barre while you build up your confidence. I used to be terrified of fouettes in the centre en pointe, and there wasn't any aha! moment for me, I just gradually got used to them until they weren't so scary anymore. Sorry I can't be much help, but maybe it helps a little bit to know you're not alone!
By hummingbird
On Wed Aug 19, 2015 02:51 PM
Have you done releve from one foot to one foot en croix?

Releve en pointe with the working leg extending devant, fondu on flat with the working leg coup de pied and repeat en croix. It sounds like it's the movement from fondu to releve thats the issue for you and this exercise focuses on that.
By S_H_A_O_
On Mon Aug 24, 2015 01:00 PM
I used to have this same exact problem. This time last year I was struggling to do one fouette, and now I can do nearly 32. Honestly for me it was changing my mindset. If you truly think about the movement, all you're doing is going up and down on one foot. Although many teachers say to practice at the barre, I completely understand if you say that doesn't work. In about February of this past school year I tried to do fouettes but I just couldn't do them, but in one of our classes a teacher made us do them after class once a week. For me, it was all trial and error. She would make us do them in the center without the barre. She would usually give each group 32 counts to do them. The first week I barely got past two fouettes, but then about a month later I got up to 16 somehow. I'm not sure if my technique got stronger or anything, but definitely the fear of falling went away. For me, my fouettes had always been compromised by my fear of falling. Once I just told myself that everyone can do fouettes, they started to become much easier. This is probably advice a true dance teacher would never give, but I would honestly just keeping going for them. If you fall that's fine, it happens. But for me, once I got over the 'what if' mindset, fouettes became ten times easier. Of course I still can't do them well and I still have a lot of technical issues, but now fouettes don't seem like a big scary thing to me anymore. I hope this helps somehow and good luck!

ReplySendWatch