Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
Hypermobility and pilates/yoga. Where are there classes for U14?
By LMallaburn Comments: 22, member since Sat Aug 15, 2015
On Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:49 AM

Hi. My D has been diagnosed with severe hypermobility and as part of her physiotherapy I was told to arrange for ther to do pilates or yoga but the local classes are only for 14+. Does anyone know where there are classes in the UK for children? Her dance group is Irish Dancing. Thanks

3 Replies to Hypermobility and pilates/yoga. Where are there classes for U14?

re: Hypermobility and pilates/yoga. Where are there classes for U14?
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Aug 24, 2015 07:41 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2015-08-24 19:43:01
If you're looking at Yoga then I would be careful what style you look at, Hot Yoga for instance won't really be a lot of help to someone who has hyper mobility syndrome because the main reason it's done in a heated room is to be able to push those muscles further then they would normally be comfortable doing.This is not what your daughter needs! She needs strength and stability.

I would also get in touch with the Pilates and Yoga studios that you've found and put you daughters situation to them, it's not like she's tiny and unable to understand the anatomical cueing that would be given in these classes and your instructor will need to know the situation before she gets into a group class anyway.

You can PM me your area in the UK and I can try and help you find a good Pilates instructor if you'd like to.

I forgot to say, I am a Pilates instructor and there's a pretty good network set up with the organization I belong to help us refer clients on who need instructors in new areas.
By LMallaburn Comments: 22, member since Sat Aug 15, 2015
On Tue Aug 25, 2015 04:06 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will inbox you.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:54 PM
I hope you got the PM I sent to you. I did find this whilst I was just browsing on the web, a support group set up in the UK for people who have Hyper-mobility Syndrome.

hypermobility.org . . .

This page is a list of their local groups and I believe there's one in your area.

ReplySendWatch