Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Crafts & Hobbies
Can anyone help with a knitting problem?
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Wed Aug 26, 2015 02:59 PM

My mom loves to knit and she knitted us some adorable dishcloths. I think they are just cotton yarn, nothing fancy. Whenever we use them, we rinse them out. We wash then in the machine and put them in the dryer but they always come out smelling kind of funky. We use an all natural laundry detergent by Method and we use their fabric softener sheets that are unscented.

Is there a way to get rid of that smell? I know I'm a super smeller so maybe nobody smells that when they are just washed but I always do. My sister says she always had dish cloths but they smelled funky and she threw them out. I don't want to throw them out because mom really worked hard on them and they are so cute. Any help would be appreciated!

5 Replies to Can anyone help with a knitting problem?

re: Can anyone help with a knitting problem? (karma: 1)
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Wed Aug 26, 2015 06:34 PM
I have some of the same kind of dish cloth and I find putting them in a big pot of water and some vinegar and bringing them up to a supervised boil for a couple miniutes tends to kill the smell.
re: Can anyone help with a knitting problem?
On Wed Aug 26, 2015 07:15 PM
For real? That's great! Thank you so much! I'll try that! I have been asking people what to do and this is the first time someone answered, I will try that and let you know how it worked. You would think washing it in the machine would work.
re: Can anyone help with a knitting problem? (karma: 1)
By Bril Comments: 150, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Wed Aug 26, 2015 08:38 PM
I cheat and throw my kitchen sponges in the dishwasher if they are getting munky but aren't worn out enough to throw away.
I think the super hot water and steam pressure cooks all the bacteria away without having to use crazy chemicals.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Aug 26, 2015 09:48 PM
I agree with lildancergirl22, I always boil my cotton dishcloths on the stove in a saucepan for a few minutes to clean them, it actually sterilizes them too. Make sure you rinse them out first of course to get rid of any bits of food or muck on them.
On Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:13 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! You are the first ones to send me anything! I am going to do this ASAP. Mom has a doctors appointment tomorrow and when we get back I will do it after we all eat. Then mom can knit more!

ReplySendWatch