Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Need help with a pointe class!
By CeCedancerr5678
On Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:59 PM

Hello!
I dance at one studio (for know we will call it A) and I do the nutcracker with B. Both studios are fine with me switching between them, they are friendly with each other. The artistic director of B wants me to come to a pointe class. I really want to impress her so that I get a good role in the Nutcracker. Any advice? I have trouble with 1. Coming down quitely, 2. Akaward arms, and 3. I freak myself out.
Please leave any advice in the comments!

1 Replies to Need help with a pointe class!

re: Need help with a pointe class!
By LaceyK
On Tue Sep 08, 2015 07:32 AM
My advice would be to just go to the pointe class with B. Every dancer has quirks that they need to work on, and they may even have advice for you to correct your troubles. I might be able to help a little, though.
1. Really pull up and hold your core when your going off of your box. My teacher describes it as almost having to go up just to come down.

2. When holding your arms (I'm going to try not to make this confusing, it's easier to describe in person), you have to feel like your wrist is pulling inward, your forearm is turning outwards, and your upper arm is pulling inward with your wrist. Thinking of it this way keeps your shoulders down and keeps the line. If there were a drop of water on your shoulder, it should be able to slide from your shoulder to your fingertips with no problem.

3. Just be confident! You got this (:

ReplySendWatch