Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Irish - Champs
Strained Muscle in Foot and a Weekend of Dance!! Please Help!!
By Lil_Irish_Dance Comments: 29, member since Thu Sep 03, 2015
On Thu Sep 03, 2015 08:12 AM

So, yesterday in class my left ankle started to hurt when pressure was put on it. I rested for a while and took the rest of class easy. When I got home, I iced my ankle and rested. This morning, it hurt to walk. I'm going to uses the RICE method (rest, ice,compress, and elevate) for the next few days, but I have a teams class tonight, my first Oireachtas solos class is tomorrow, and I have a performance on Saturday. For teams I'll be wearing dance sneakers and for solos I might have to. I'm also wearing a brace. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to help?

8 Replies to Strained Muscle in Foot and a Weekend of Dance!! Please Help!!

re: Strained Muscle in Foot and a Weekend of Dance!! Please Help!!
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Sep 03, 2015 02:49 PM
I hate to be a doom gloom and disaster merchant here but it might not just be a strained muscle, it could be any number of things and you need to get it checked out by a doctor.

If it's hurting to walk on it's not going to be safe to dance on, pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong and you need to rest up, listen to your body! If you don't you might make this injury worse and not be able to dance at all come Oireachtas time.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Thu Sep 03, 2015 03:58 PM
I am also going to doom and gloom. If it hurts to walk, it will really hurt to dance on it, or just do more damage. Then you will miss more class, and if you damage it enough, the Oireachtas all together. Talk to your TC, let them know what is going on. Go to class, but don't dance. Sorry :(

Sounds like you are doing the right things to help it heal up. Dancing this weekend would not be one of them.

Hope you heal up quick!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Mon Sep 07, 2015 01:59 PM
how are you doing? what did you decide to do?
By Lil_Irish_Dance Comments: 29, member since Thu Sep 03, 2015
On Tue Sep 08, 2015 02:39 PM
I was seen by a doctor and she didn't think it was anything serious. I spent all of thursday, friday, and saturday icing my foot and keeping it elevated. I went to teams on thursday and wore a brace with my sneakers. I danced a little, but not much. Friday my foot was feeling A LOT better. I still wore my brace, but I danced in my dance shoes. I had long breaks between dances, so I rested my foot. I also took it easy and didn't do block. For the performance, I got out of all the dances except for the ones that we couldn't do without me. The rest of my weekend has been spent trying to heal my ankle. Now, it's doing a lot better and I'm going to class tonight. I will still wear the brace during the day for a little while before I get off it completely.
On Tue Sep 08, 2015 05:09 PM
thats great! Sounds like you are taking good care of it, and yourself!
By Stase Comments: 29, member since Thu Aug 13, 2015
On Wed Sep 09, 2015 09:27 AM
I dance tango, I feel pain in my right leg every day. Visited doctors, did MRI for my back, leg.... nothing important was discovered to solve my pain problem... Many thousand dollars later I learned what i already knew: ICE and that is end of the story.

To be in pain is the worst. But like one famust ballet dancer said "if I wake up in the morning and feel no pain, that means I did not practice good enough"

Pain is tricky, I think sooner we learn to work around it, better it is. But that is what I conclude from my ONLY personal experience
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2550, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Wed Sep 09, 2015 09:34 PM
^And tango is a much different dance than Irish.

Soreness from a good workout is one thing. Waddling down the stairs the day after a crazy class when you're sore is both funny and satisfying.

Pain is another thing. Every dancer gets around a fair amount of pain--we do crazy things with our bodies. Jumping feet into the air and then landing, especially the way IDers do (little shock absorption through the legs), isn't the most comfortable thing in the world. But if there is true pain, it's not a "suck it up" kind of thing. Take a bit and evaluate. Is most of the reaction just fear, like when you fall and are just so surprised you might cry, or is there point pain? Weird weakness that shouldn't be there?

Sucking it up, to a point, is fine. But as dancers, our bodies are our tools. If you don't take care of them, it might not end the way you'd hope. Don't cry wolf, but know when to ask for help.

(And yes, this is totally a case of "do as I say, not as I do," because anyone who knows me knows I'm the absolute WORST when it comes to listening to my body if there's something I want to do... Hence why I'm in the boot... Again.)

And Lil_Irish_Dance, I hope your weekend went really well and you're feeling well!!!
By Stase Comments: 29, member since Thu Aug 13, 2015
On Thu Sep 10, 2015 07:38 AM
"Don't cry wolf, but know when to ask for help"
I am sooooo 10000% with you on this one. While we younger it is easier, but one day ..... :) We must nurture our bodies!

ReplySendWatch