Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
Writing A Letter Of Thanks To A Mentor?
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5653, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Fri Sep 04, 2015 02:17 AM

Recently a VERY senior member of staff at the business I work for took me under his wing to help and guide me on a project that was going majorly wrong. I really want to write a hand written letter of thanks to him for kindly devoting time (even on vacation/business trips) to correspond with me and help me complete my project.

He has been a bit of a Father figure to me and I really have no superlatives to describe how grateful I am for his words of encouragement and guidance being a newbie to the business in and in way over my head. If I could afford one, a Ferrari wouldn't even be enough to say thanks.

Obviously just conscious that he has a wife and kids, so I don't want it to come across wrong if you know what I mean. I'm a little conscious of making it too gushing and hailing him as an absolute hero for that reason incase it gets misinterpreted but want it to be a bit more personal than just a generic thanks letter. Any ideas on how best to approach it?

Like I say, his involvement in the project went above and beyond the call of duty and he stepped in when others refused and told me they'd happily take me down when the project failed, so it means A LOT to me that he was prepared to help me and make it a success.

2 Replies to Writing A Letter Of Thanks To A Mentor?

re: Writing A Letter Of Thanks To A Mentor? (karma: 1)
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 08:06 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2015-09-12 08:08:08
Hi! Being able to type replies on this site was not working well last week, and I did want to give you some thoughts, so I am trying again.

What you want to do is a very good thing!! Most folks today would not even think of doing it. This is really a very good and nice thing to do, and one I believe will pay future benefits to you years from now with your work.

So, you don't know what say or how to say it??

I would just format the note exactly along the lines of how you have stated things in your message above. Just keep it simple, short, and to the point, and it will turn out GREAT!!! Just be yourself as you write it. Do use nice stationary though!!

Good Luck with it.
re: Writing A Letter Of Thanks To A Mentor? (karma: 1)
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 02:31 PM
I think this is a great quote that could be nicely worked into a thank you note- "Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction."- John C. Crosby

Here's a sample of the thank you notes I gave my mentors. They were female and we were friendly....

"Dear XYZ,
I cannot believe how quickly the last 12 months have gone by! Thank you so much for taking me under your wing and guiding me through my initial practice period. I am so grateful for your support and words of wisdom.

Dear XYZ,
Wow! Have the past 12 monts ever flown by!! Thank you for being a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and always just a phone call away. Your support throughout my initial practice period means so much to me! "

ReplySendWatch