Forum: General / Tell dance.net

Tell dance.net
Get ready for changes, Linh is back (karma: 10)
By linhPremium member Comments: 2688, member since Sun Mar 07, 1999
On Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:13 AM
Made unsticky by linh (3) on 2017-07-27 00:30:32

I'm finally going to take the reins of development on this site again. So let's start with what happened: In 2013, the ad revenues had declined to the point where I could no longer have a dedicated programmer/system administrator for the site. I tried to find a suitable tech savvy investor/partner to invest and improve the site. We thought we found a great person and everything was going swimmingly well. But this person essentially took up all our remaining time and wasted our meager funds, and then bailed. Not before making horrible changes on the site which were not well received by our members and visitors. This led to the lay-off of our programmer/system administrator, Andrew. The site has run on autopilot while I dealt with personal and family issues including the birth of my third child. But the time has come for me to step up, and once again take the reins and onus to improve this site so it is as useful and usable as it once was. To this end, I'll be slowly improving and reverting the site to a more user-friendly (read: less intrusive ads) and mobile-friendly website. In addition, I'm at the planning stages of an app that will let you sign in, read threads, post items for sale, jobs, send/receive private messages, and even novel ways to support the site without forcing ads on users. If you want to help, please give me feedback on what changes you'd like to see. I can't promise to enact all of them, but I'll try to pick the ones that I can do. In addition, I recently released a new casual game I'd been developing for several years to the Google Play market called Rope Ninja: play.google.com . . . If you have an Android device, please install and play. Then review it, and tell 5 of your friends. The game is free to play and will not force any ads on you. It uses a similar design to Crossy Roads which is very user friendly. An iOS version will be coming soon for those of you with Apple products. All the proceeds from Rope Ninja will directly benefit dance.net by allowing me time to develop and improve the site. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, Linh (founder of dance.net)

16 Replies to Get ready for changes, Linh is back

re: Get ready for changes, Linh is back
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Sep 08, 2015 08:25 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2015-09-08 08:27:12
Thank you so much for the update!

I am sorry to hear about the bailing out and the funds. How frustrating!

Congratulations on the birth of the baby!!!
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10712, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Tue Sep 08, 2015 09:58 AM
Now that is some great news!

Congrats for your baby!
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1262, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Wed Sep 09, 2015 08:28 AM
Linh,

You are awesome. Thank you for everything you have done for the dance community by providing this safe place for us to come together from all over the world. Thanks also for updating us on everything. It sounds like you've had an adventurous few years! Congrats on the new addition to your family and I'll be downloading Rope Ninja for sure. :)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Wed Sep 09, 2015 05:39 PM
Edited by smileywoman (141214) on 2015-09-09 17:40:16 pushed the button too soon...
Hi Linh,

Happy to hear about the baby and you back to Dance.net. I'm sorry to hear about your system admin bailing though.

It's very cool that proceeds from your game will benefit Dance.net. I'll be sure to check it out.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:43 PM
Happy to hear the news! Congratulations and best wishes.

The app sounds great! I use a Surface for most of my browsing needs.

kk~
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:47 PM
Congratulations on your baby and your growing family. Thanks for the update.

I wish I could be of some use to you but I am the least tech savvy human I know. I do bake some fine cookies, though, so if you are ever in need...

I am happy to hear of your commitment to breathe new life into this EXCELLENT site. It is truly one of a kind and deserves the restoration you are planning.

Best wishes. xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By linhPremium member Comments: 2688, member since Sun Mar 07, 1999
On Thu Sep 10, 2015 04:10 AM
Thanks, everybody! Parenthood has been real eye-opening for sure. So I'm still evaluating the various technologies since the tech world has evolved far beyond the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySql, and PHP) since I first developed the site. I will likely do this in two stages: some more immediate fixes to the existing site to make life easier, and then a transition the new technology if it makes sense. As for Rope Ninja, it's been slow going. I want to add some dance characters to make it more fun to the dance.net crew. :) And of course, the dance.net app is also in the planning stages. But everything will look great and run super fast in the end.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:36 AM
Things are already starting to look better!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 08:46 AM
Hi Linh, thanks for the update, nice to hear from you and congrats on you newest addition! I'll always be on dance.net no matter what. :)
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 02:39 PM
I don't see my user name and profile on the side of the page now. Is there any reason for this? How will I know if I get a PM?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 03:16 PM
^It's on the right side now, top of the column. It took me a beat to figure it out too.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:00 PM
Yay! I really thought this site would die in the next year but not now! That is really frustrating that you were taken advantage of. Thank you for being so transparent about everything. I hope the site gets back to the glory it once was!
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Sat Sep 26, 2015 05:00 PM
Linh, thanks for the transparency and update-it's lovely to see you back.

Once Rope Ninja gets to IOS, I will definitely get it :)
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Wed Jul 27, 2016 09:41 PM
Congrats on getting the site back to the glory it used to be because I was getting worried for a while there.
I don't have a smart phone. I have your basic cell phone. Mine is not that smart! LOL I have a MAC laptop and that's what I use to get on-line. I'm on Safari and AOL.
How do we get our games restored on Games? I wanted to play but I am told they are all to old. I know that's because of what you are doing to the site. I am the last one on all the games so I didn't want to be accused of Star Farming by playing. I can't anyway.
I wish I was more tech savvy so I could help you with the site but you are talking to someone who isn't. However, my sister is pretty tech savvy. She designed her own website and says she needs to redesign it. Her website is theproudpeacock.com Maybe she can help you out.
Let me know how we can get all of our games back. I want to play again!
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:53 PM
I've bumped the games again but they need to be played to keep them current, if they're not played I can't bump them again.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:44 PM
I tried that tonight but not since I got this e-mail. It said that I couldn't play ay of them because they were way out of date. A bunch of them said the last time they were played was in Feb.! I know they were played since then. I'll try again.

ReplySendWatch