Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Jazz - Competitions
How to convince my parents to let me wear crop tops?
By Scarlett_D Comments: 8, member since Fri Sep 11, 2015
On Fri Sep 11, 2015 02:01 PM

Hi Everyone!
My name is Scarlett. I'm new to the forum, but I'm thrilled to be here and excited to meet everyone.
With company auditions coming up, I have a HUGE dilemma on my hands. I want so badly to compete, but my parents, who are conservative and religious, have a problem with the "skimpy" crop tops the dancers sometimes wear. I try to explain to them that the costumes show off the lines of the dancer and keep her cool, but they are pretty set in their ways. They let me wear booty shorts and backless tops, but for whatever reason, exposed midriffs are unacceptable. I'm beginning to get frustrated! Please leave any tips that helped you convince your parents to let you wear whatever you need to.
Thank you so much.
Your friend,
Scarlett

4 Replies to How to convince my parents to let me wear crop tops?

re: How to convince my parents to let me wear crop tops?
By dancerxiv Comments: 113, member since Thu May 10, 2012
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 09:55 AM
As someone who also grew up with similar parents, I understand- but the chances of you attempting to convince them otherwise is probably not going to happen. how is your company set up? If you feel comfortable with the director, a better solution would be to discuss the dilemma with him/her and see if an arrangement could be made there. I'm sure not every dance has exposed midriff, and maybe its possible that you could be cast in only dances with more modest costuming. Some of our costumes have exposed midriff, some use colored contacts, some are intense themes, and if I know a parent would object to their child being involved with any of those things I wouldn't cast them in that dance. I'm hopeful for you that a compromise can be reached, but I think you would be best to respect your parents rules and try another route.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 03:18 PM
Would they be happy if you wore a nude leo underneath? I taught a group, and had to participate in their dance so they had an even number, and the girls picked out a bare midriff costume. I was the new instructor, in a small conservative town...and I'd just gotten a new belly button ring. :O My mom wasn't going to have it until I covered it up! I fooled exactly zero of the kids, but my mom stayed off my case, so it all worked out. :) Maybe you could compromise with that?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 04:55 PM
Theresa wrote:

Would they be happy if you wore a nude leo underneath? I taught a group, and had to participate in their dance so they had an even number, and the girls picked out a bare midriff costume. I was the new instructor, in a small conservative town...and I'd just gotten a new belly button ring. :O My mom wasn't going to have it until I covered it up! I fooled exactly zero of the kids, but my mom stayed off my case, so it all worked out. :) Maybe you could compromise with that?

This is what I was going to suggest. Nude leo. Or possibly wear body tights (though they are sheer)?
By Scarlett_D Comments: 8, member since Fri Sep 11, 2015
On Thu Sep 17, 2015 08:35 AM
Thank you all so much! As long as it's okay with the dance studio, I think my parents would be fine with me wearing a crop top if it has a nude leotard under it. And I think they will definitely be more compliant if I can get the dance teacher on my side.

ReplySendWatch