Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Irish - Beginners
Convincing my parents to let me take Irish dance? Information to answer parents questions?
By Sagebrush Comments: 13, member since Sat Sep 12, 2015
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 08:47 AM

I am 14 years old and I am very passionate about Irish Dance. My parents are unsure about letting me take lessons. So I was hoping to get more information on a few of their questions.

1)How much does Irish dancing cost? How could I negotiate this with my parents?

2) The kids will be little, but how little? Will I look completely awkward next to them? ( I am 5'9" but have 8 years of dance experience with ballet tap and jazz.) My parents are questioning whether it is worth being in the class when the kids are so young, but I really want to do this.

3) Feis: my cousin is a Chmpion level Irish dancer and she spends pretty much all her free time at Irish dancing and going to feisanna. I would like to do a few feis' but not that many. How can I convince my mom to let me do feis when she has been to a few of my cousins and doesn't want me to do them because she thinks she will be too busy or that I will turn in to some sort of competitive maniac?

4) Should I start with private lessons to catch up a bit? The school I am considering offers them, and I didn't know if it would be helpful or not.

5) Am I any good? I learned a few things online. I can do 1-2-3s and a few other combinations. How quickly do you think I'll progress?
Thank you.

8 Replies to Convincing my parents to let me take Irish dance? Information to answer parents questions?

re: Convincing my parents to let me take Irish dance? Information to answer parents questions?
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:47 AM
some answers

1) costs vary by school, and how many classes you take a week. A lot of students only take one class a week, others take 2-4 classes a week.
For negotiating with your parents, that depends. Do they not want/can't pay for any of it, half of it? They pay for lessons, you pay for the shoes till they see if you are really interested? (soft shoes run $40-80, hard shoes (usually not needed the first year) can be $120-180)

2) Again depends on the class/school. With ID there tends to be a variety of ages in a class. I am an adult in a kids prizewinner class, so the age range is 8-50) But as an older kid in a "little kid" class, you will probably pick up things faster.

You shouldn't look awkward next to them, because they will be the same level as you!

3) It is totally possible to progress in ID only doing a few feiseanna (plural for feis) a year. My daughter eventually made it to champs, doing about 4 feiseanna a year. But you also don't need to compete at all, if you don't want to.

4) Probably don't need private lessons as a beginner. The other kids are just starting up also. Plus private lessons cost more.

5) as for this, who knows! ID style is different than tap and ballet, but some of the things you learned there will help you in Irish. Some things will get in your way. Turn out is a positive thing, making sounds on the beat is a positive things, bending your knees when you jump is not!

I hope you are able to participate in ID. Its a great dance form! Good luck
re: Convincing my parents to let me take Irish dance? Information to answer parents questions?
On Sat Sep 12, 2015 05:56 PM
Thank you so much, Hop_123! This is extremely helpful!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Sep 16, 2015 06:38 AM
You could actually call the studio and ask. I run the front office at my dance studio, I field these sorts of questions all year long.
On Thu Sep 17, 2015 04:48 AM
That's true, thank you, Theresa, I will call them
By reelgirl59 Comments: 11, member since Sat Sep 13, 2014
On Thu Oct 01, 2015 09:38 AM
Hi! Your story and questions sound almost like mine, as I started Irish dance at 15 and had to convince my parents to let me do it too.
1. Irish dance can get expensive (when you factor in shoes, wigs, dresses, makeup, feis costs), but it doesn't have to be, especially when you first start. If you live in an area with multiple Irish dance schools, shop around. See which one has the best price. Especially if you aren't taking multiple classes a week, the price should be pretty reasonable. Buying used shoes, especially for someone who is trying out Irish dance is an amazing way to save money. I own over $220 dollars in Irish dance shoes that I bought used for only $50! Voy Irish Dance Shoe Exchange and Feisdresses.com are great places to look for used shoes.
2. When I started at 15, my school did not put me in the beginner class. Because I was older, they figured I would pick it up quickly, and so I was put in a class with slightly older kids. It's sometimes a little weird, but no one really cares if you are older. Ask the studio what class you would be placed in. It probably wouldn't be the very little beginner class. And also, being older, you pick up steps SO MUCH faster than the younger kids. It's a lot easier to progress when you are older, believe it or not. You probably wouldn't be in the beginner class for very long.
3. Haha, this is the same thing my mom said to me!! BTW I'm doing my first feis in November and she's worried about becoming a feis mom! Believe it or not, the decision to start to feis has been an amazing decision for me. It has motivated me to work so much harder and truly become good at what I am doing. A competitive spirit really is a good thing, because it motivates you to do better. And, doing feiseanna doesn't have to take up all your time. You do as many feiseanna as you want. You can do 2 a year, or 20! You can try a feis, see how you like it, and go from there.
4. Try out a few classes first. If a teacher recommends private lessons or you feel like you are behind, go for it. But first get a feel for how your progress is without them.
5. This is the same thing I did before I started dance lessons and it helped a lot. Already knowing some basic moves really helped me to catch on quicker. You said that you had already been dancing for 8 years in different styles of dance. This is so good! Previous dance experience will help you tremendously! I'm sure you will move up quickly.

Hope this helps! Don't ever be discouraged about starting late. I started when I was almost 15 (I'm 16 now) and it has been such an amazing experience. Feel free to PM me, I'd love to know how it's going!
By Stase Comments: 29, member since Thu Aug 13, 2015
On Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:24 AM
1) Any dance is expensive. More serious you get MORE expensive it gets.
5) "Am I any good?" in my opinion you as good as you want to be and as much you invest in practicing! Invest time and energy and you will be surprised how excellent you can get :D

I read a lot on dancing and i came across few nice articles, the dance type is not what you do but idea is the same www.dance-america.com . . .

They have more articles that you might learn something from www.dance-america.com . . .

Good luck! Wish you all the best :)
On Fri Oct 02, 2015 02:11 PM
Thank you, Reel Girl59! It's nice to know someone else was in the same boat! I'll keep you updated.
On Fri Oct 02, 2015 02:31 PM
Thank you, Stase! I always love reading more about ID!

ReplySendWatch