Forum: Irish / Irish

Scams
By Rockstar679
On Sun Sep 13, 2015 03:59 PM

What are curant scams from pretend solo dress buyers ?

4 Replies to Scams

re: Scams
By Realtreble
On Mon Sep 14, 2015 08:04 AM
Check feisdresses.com for information about scams. Rhonda does a good job of describing the methods.

In general, if someone emails you and doesn't ask any questions but makes an offer right away, be suspicious. If they want to use some unusual delivery arrangement, be suspicious. If you are concerned, ask for the name of their school and TC.

You are wise to be cautious.
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 14, 2015 09:11 AM
Also watch out for strange wording. "I am interested in your item" why wouldn't you call it a dress? Sometimes people word things weird because english isnt their first language, but I can usually tell the scams, something just doesn't sit right.

Also, not in the irish dance world but I've heard of this happening with laptops/cameras on ebay: hi its my daughter's birthday this weekend and I'm so excited to get this for her, would you mind expediting it? They offer to pay expedited shipping. But the "payment" is from a bogus email address saying you need to log in to paypal to accept, and there's nothing there, they are just tricking you into sending it without payment. Never ship without verifying you actually have the payment.

Also, not a new scam, but sometimes people will say they want to try a dress on, wear it for the feis weekend, and send it back saying it didn't fit. If there is a feis in the region where you're sending a dress don't let them have it over the weekend.
By Rockstar679
On Wed Sep 16, 2015 04:14 AM
I did get a strange reply. And sure enough came back with all the wrong answers. Watch out for Name: andrea
E-mail: andrea.stinson123@gmail.com
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 16, 2015 09:05 AM
I got emails from that same email address. It was the punctuation that tipped me. That and the two emails were identical

ReplySendWatch