Forum: Advice / Support

Support
How to get better synchronization in dance
By sahasush Comments: 1, member since Mon Sep 14, 2015
On Mon Sep 14, 2015 09:22 AM

Hi
How to get better synchronization in dance.
We have been rehearsing but still some sections are not synchronized

2 Replies to How to get better synchronization in dance

re: How to get better synchronization in dance
By Rinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2059, member since Wed Apr 21, 2004
On Mon Sep 14, 2015 01:01 PM
We used to film rehearsals and watch it as a group. You could obviously see who was behind in certain sections.

I would also say- drill it! repeat the choreography over and over again (especially the parts where people are off) until everyone knows the dance with the exact timing.
re: How to get better synchronization in dance
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:06 PM
Last year my cloggers were competing for the first time, and they struggle with facial expressions, so I'd say "Smile!" and they'd go "We are!" ...even if they weren't.

I resorted to "paparazzi-ing" them. I'd just stand there and take pictures like crazy. One dance, I took probably 75 pictures. They were both smiling, at the same time, in maybe three of them. I'm like "Do you dopes believe me now?!" LOL...

Also, this might be a point where you need to call people out by name. I try to not, sometimes you have students that embarass easily, and it's not worth the amount of trouble, but sometimes you just have to. Don't be jerky about it though. My rule for my classes is that you're not allowed to call someone out, unless you know how to make what they did better. Like, "Becca's turns are awful!" is not allowed. "Becca's turn wasn't right, but if she just held her leg like this (with a demonstration of course), it'd fix it." is OK.

My cloggers are brother and sister, and that rule stymies them a lot - because that's not how siblings talk to each other, LOL!

ReplySendWatch