Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Irish - Champs
First Oireachtas
By Lil_Irish_Dance Comments: 29, member since Thu Sep 03, 2015
On Tue Sep 15, 2015 08:12 AM

Hi! This is my first Oireachtas in solos. I'm currently learning the prelim steps for my solos. I'm a strong dancer and I have good stage presence, but I'm not very loud in hard shoes. Does anyone have any tips for how I can become louder? Also, anything else that might help me recal?

3 Replies to First Oireachtas

re: First Oireachtas
By mandees11 Comments: 250, member since Sun Oct 23, 2011
On Sun Nov 01, 2015 07:12 PM
First of all, congrats on qualifying for Oireachtas! That's a great achievement.

I used to have the same problem.
Are you dancing on your toes in your hardshoes? What helped me was to build up my muscle strength so I could dance higher on my toes which makes your beats louder and more sharp.

Oireachtas is like a big Feis. You could go on stage with a novice dancer or an open dancer. Everyone there is the same level. You have to show them that you deserve to be on that stage which you do! Enjoy yourself. Oireachtas is fun!
By pyronova Comments: 1, member since Tue Nov 03, 2015
On Wed Nov 11, 2015 07:45 AM
So I was getting this comment earlier this year, depending on which hard shoe you are doing, it helps to jump into trebles/batters, and dropping your weight into your feet.

Now that sounds strange, but it is what I think about when I dance. Now the down side to this is then I get wide knees; and I am not the only one. What fixes the wide knees then is to over cross, and of course this is a must in irish dance. So it's like a win win if you can do it. Then you just need the turnout to go with it.

Also, part of sound that people neglect, and something I learned recently, is don't forget the back foot! It makes a noise too. Just don't drop the heels unless you are doing a heel drop.
By Lil_Irish_Dance Comments: 29, member since Thu Sep 03, 2015
On Sat Nov 14, 2015 06:38 AM
Thanks so much! I do dance on my toes, that's one of the things that got me into prizewinner. Pryonova, I'll try the idea about jumping to the rallies/trebbles. I'm doing Treble Jig, so this may help. One thing you can hear when I dance is my back foot, so that's good.

My hard shoes are too big right now, so I think that is a problem. We are going to buy new ones at Oireachtas.

Thanks again :)

ReplySendWatch