Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Don't have any idea how to price updated/upcycled dress?
By blondcat
On Thu Sep 24, 2015 03:18 PM
Edited by blondcat (227645) on 2015-09-24 15:20:06 typo in title

I am in the process of cleaning out my closet have have a couple of older 3-panel dresses that I want to use elements from to make more modern looking dresses with dropped waists, soft skirts and a moderate amount of bling.

What would be a reasonable amount to sell the upcycled dresses for? Just my hourly rate since I am not designing from scratch and digitizing embroidery?

4 Replies to Don't have any idea how to price updated/upcycled dress?

re: Don't have any idea how to price updated/upcycled dress?
By blondcat
On Fri Sep 25, 2015 09:47 AM
Here's sort of what I have in mind. Please excuse the clumsy "proposed update" version-- I was in a hurry.
By Mariel4444
On Sun Sep 27, 2015 08:03 PM
Just remember that people don't want to pay full price for a redone dress, depending how nice it looks at the end I would have to say 800 or less. But every dress would be different
By rosalinde
On Mon Sep 28, 2015 07:08 AM
If you're doing this to clean out your closet and possibly give these dresses another lease of life, try to forget all about what they cost originally. Instead remind yourself that, currently, they are not bringing in anything at all, so anything you can make on it is a bonus.

You may even have to settle for $500 or less, but as long as your costs of redoing them and postage are covered, be prepared to get very little extra. After all, as beautiful as the dress originally was, it has already been altered at least once, and the decoration makes it look very dated.

I have sold made-over dresses in the past, and have at times settled for as little as €50 profit after all my costs were calculated -- and I did not even count labour as I did it to get rid of old dresses I didn't want anymore but couldn't sell as they were. But at least the dress was out of my house and back on the dance floor somewhere, with a dancer who may not have been in a financial position to own a solo otherwise.
By blondcat
On Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:19 AM
Thank you. Both responses are along the same lines as I was thinking. The upcycles would be aimed at new novice/prizewinner dancers with limited budgets or just someone who needed a dress for outdoor or pub displays.

ReplySendWatch