Forum: Competitions

Competitive Team Prices?
By MsDanielle
On Sat Sep 26, 2015 09:26 AM

Hi Everyone.

I live in a medium sized dance city... Not out in the sticks somewhere, but certainly not NYC either. We have dozens of dance schools around, and quite a few with very talented competition teams. My studio has frequently been told that our company is "Really affordable compared to some of the others in town." We charge a small monthly fee (Less than the cost of a single class) for our company students, normal costume fees (covering the costume and shipping), and a $200 choreographer's fee for solos/duets/trios. if they are requested by students in addition to the group pieces for each level. Then of course students have to pay for competitions or workshops, but we only charge what the competition does for each dance (Not teacher fee's or anything like that).

The other day, one of the parents who has been with us for about 10 years now came in with a story. She knows a young girl (Very talented dancer) in one of the other competition companies in town, who pays between 3,000 and 5,000 per MONTH for dance. The studio requires they keep an account with at least $3,000 per month for "expenses" that the studio can pull from when costs come up. They compete every weekend, and have traveled all over the country. Each student also has to pay a teacher $75 at each competition "to warm them up" (Stretching, etc) before they compete.

So... I realize the two situations I explained were complete opposites of each other. But it made me curious - How does your competition group work? My studio likes to make it as affordable as possible... but perhaps we're a little too cheap? Not paying our choreographers enough? (I know I'd love $75/student for a short warm up - but I can't picture anyone actually paying that!)

Opinions welcome! Thanks!

1 Replies to Competitive Team Prices?

re: Competitive Team Prices?
By RileyA
On Sat Sep 26, 2015 04:15 PM
Being too expensive is of course a problem because you won't have enough families who can afford it and you will have a very small competition team and you won't make a profit anyway. Also if you are too expensive kids will just do the minimum required classes and won't sign up for the extra subjects, which is what will help to make them great dancers.

But you need to make a profit, it is a business and not a charity. If you aren't paying for teachers to attend the comps, do they attend for free as volunteers? That will not last forever.

ReplySendWatch