Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Strengthening
Core exercises with back problems
By Alassin_Sanemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 266, member since Tue Dec 28, 2010
On Sat Sep 26, 2015 03:27 PM

Hi DDN,

I really need to work on my core strength for dance (at the moment, it feels like it's basically non-existant!) but I have problems with my back that are getting in the way.

I had surgery twice a few years ago to remove an abscess from my spine, and I was left with two lots of scar tissue. Any exercises that involve lying on my back hurt where my weight presses on the scar tissue.

Can anybody recommend any core exercises that might be less painful for me?

Thank you. :)

8 Replies to Core exercises with back problems

re: Core exercises with back problems (karma: 1)
By hummingbird Comments: 10410, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Sep 26, 2015 04:09 PM
You can do a lot of core exercises on a stability ball either seated or laying on the ball, that way there's less pressure on the back. I have a morning Pilates class that loves the stability ball because they have various back problems that can cause issues when exercising laying down.

You might be able to use pads around the scar tissue to give space between you and the mat. Like these or the sort of thing that people use to put under their knees when they garden because I'm pretty sure those would be cheaper.

www.merrithew.com . . .

These are two very good DVD's to help you get a balanced workout. I know, the first one is prenatal, but it's been designed to not use any exercises on your back because that's one of the issues you have as your pregnancy progresses. I use these exercises a lot with clients who aren't pregnant if they have back pain.

www.merrithew.com . . .

This one has a few exercises on your back in it but it is only two or three you'll still get a good workout from it.

www.merrithew.com . . .
By UnderwaterBubblemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2378, member since Mon Jun 09, 2003
On Sun Sep 27, 2015 02:00 PM
Core exercises on hands and knees or a version of (plank, resting elbows on a raised surface etc..) can be great too if you don't want pressure on your lower back. Doing simple things like sliding your legs straight back, taking arms out to the side or in front (overhead) keeping control through your pelvis and spine are a good place to start.

Important note for set up is you want your hands around shoulder width apart and knees around hip width and then when you move you don't want to shift your body side to side - a good way to check this is being against a wall (side of your body) with knee (important) and hip and shoulder touching the wall - slide the outside leg backwards - should feel difficult.. let me know if that doesn't make sense!
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sun Sep 27, 2015 09:45 PM
definitely planks. I had a surgery too to remove an infected cyst near my tailbone so I feel your pain. Planks were the best thing I could do without putting pressure on the scar. Luckily for me the pain is mostly gone, five years later. (it took awhile though and sometimes it is still sensitive). So be patient and get creative . The yoga ball is a good idea too.
re: Core exercises with back problems
By Alassin_Sanemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 266, member since Tue Dec 28, 2010
On Mon Sep 28, 2015 02:14 PM
Thank you all for your help with this, I really appreciate it!

Hummingbird: I asked around a few people in my family, and have acquired a stability ball for free. I will need to figure out if that website can ship DVDs to the UK. It's interesting what you said about the prenatal one, it never occurred to me to try something like that so thank you for the tip! I also think I might already have a couple of those gardening pad things somewhere that I could experiment with - again something I had never thought of!

UnderwaterBubble: That does make sense, thank you! I will definitely try those variations and see how I get on.

Moonlitefairy06: It's been something like 4 years since my first surgery, but I had another one in almost the same place about 3 years ago. I'm still holding out hope that it will settle down (I was warned it could take a long time). I think the best thing I can do is work around it - carefully - in the meantime. And I will definitely work some planks in!

Thank you all again for taking the time to help me out. I am hoping to work out a little routine that I can do everyday, starting fairly gently and hopefully building up, and I will try out all of your suggestions and see how I get on. :)
By hummingbird Comments: 10410, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:46 PM
Here are both of the DVD's on amazon.co.uk

www.amazon.co.uk . . .

www.amazon.co.uk . . .
On Tue Sep 29, 2015 04:09 PM
hummingbird wrote:

Here are both of the DVD's on amazon.co.uk

www.amazon.co.uk . . .

www.amazon.co.uk . . .

Thank you, that's really kind of you! I have ordered the core balance one for now, and bookmarked the other for once I have been paid. :)
By Rinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2059, member since Wed Apr 21, 2004
On Wed Sep 30, 2015 07:40 AM
One thing that I teach in my yoga class as a core strength-er without lying on your back-

find a tabletop position, stack hips directly over knees, shoulders directly over wrists.
reach your right arm out front and send your left leg back.
Hold it strong.
you can find a few variations such as pulsing your back leg and arm, or drawing your elbow and knee to touch and then reaching them out strong again.

once you have good strength in this, you can do the same thing in plank pose instead of tabletop.
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 860, member since Sun May 01, 2005
On Thu Oct 08, 2015 08:55 AM
Hullo,

I've had back pain for quite some time now, although the cause is different from yours, I feel your pain!
This video from an Australian dance physiotherapy clinic is amazing. They offer simple suggestions to firstly get the pain out of the way such that you can concentrate on core strengthening and stability. It is a long video, but totally worth it. Feel free to take a look at their other articles on back pain and core stability!

perfectformphysio.com.au . . .

ReplySendWatch