Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Irish - Champs
walking boots and oireachtas help
By cdance123 Comments: 9, member since Sun Apr 26, 2015
On Fri Oct 02, 2015 02:42 PM

I'm a dancer who has been dealing with a ton of foot problems since June. When I have been able to dance I've been very strong in my tennis shoes. Hard shoe- not so much. Oireachtas is coming very quickly and I get my walking boot off at the earliest of October 26. Oireachtas is a few weeks after that. It's kind of far away, and I really want to recall to make the trip and injury stress worth it. What can I do to improve my technique immensely with the little time I'll have? Thanks!

3 Replies to walking boots and oireachtas help

re: walking boots and oireachtas help
By cdance123 Comments: 9, member since Sun Apr 26, 2015
On Fri Oct 02, 2015 02:43 PM
*Oireachtas location is far away not the date of it haha
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:45 PM
My first thoughts were that, if your foot problems have been that bad, just dancing your dances without re-injuring yourself would be an accomplishment.

Of course you can exercise & try to improve. I would talk to your TC for dance drills, and perhaps a sports physiotherapist for strengthening exercises, but if only a recall can make you happy, I fear you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

After all, there is always next year Oireachtas-wise, but if you mess up your feet this year, that's it for your dance-career.
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2550, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Thu Oct 08, 2015 04:32 PM
^Agreed.

You need to be realistic about your goals. Dancing at Oireachtas? Maybe a reasonable goal. Depends on the problems, your discipline, your body, and if your Oireachtas is earlier or later in the Oireachtas cycle. It also depends on your competition--if you are an OC dancer that's u12 and have a large comp with lots of people you normally beat by a lot, then recalling is probably realistic. If you're a PC dancer in U15 and are usually bottom of the recall or under it, maybe not so realistic.

Tennis shoes have a ton of shock absorption, soft shoes and hard shoes don't. I'm glad that you're staying away from dance sneakers--keep that up. If you're still in the boot, I highly recommend Pilates. Talk to your doctor and/or PT before doing anything. If you don't have a PT and can get one, do so. That's probably your best chance of dancing.

You cannot improve technique that's been off for months in a few weeks without injuring yourself. If you do make it through Oireachtas after doing it, it's probable you'll be back in the boot right after. I'm not trying to be mean. At all. I've been in your position so many times. Because of it, I had surgery at 17 and I'm looking at possibly another one. I love dance, but I am not smart about my injuries. Trust me--it's better to skip it this year and come back stronger and better next year.

Good luck and I hope you're feeling better.

ReplySendWatch