Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Having a student shoe for pointe?
By Dandeliondaisy
On Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:59 PM

I am currently in Bloch European Balance pointe shoes, and I have been for the past year and on and off long before that. I've been on pointe a long time now, and I am 15, and I feel as if European Balance shoes are very much a student shoe. They are the only ones that flatter my feet because I have horrible feet. I feel like I should start making the transition into less of a student shoe, but I'm not sure what to do? There is a very good fitter in my area that I would like to look into, but I'm scared that there won't be a shoe that's good for me. Any opinions?

6 Replies to Having a student shoe for pointe?

re: Having a student shoe for pointe? (karma: 1)
By rosalinde
On Thu Oct 08, 2015 01:39 AM
If these Blochs are great for you, who cares that they are 'student' shoes? Do you mean that they are generally used by beginner pointe students in your school and that most then go on to other brands? Well, if this Bloch is the right shoe for you, you struck Lucky!

As for fearing there may not be an alternative for you: if there is this great fitter nearby I would go and see them. They will know if there is a better shoe for you. You truly have very little to lose, and only a potentially even better pointe shoe to win.
re: Having a student shoe for pointe?
By hummingbird
On Thu Oct 08, 2015 08:35 AM
I would go and talk to the fitter, not because your current shoes are student shoes but because you might be able to find an improvement through them.

A good pair of pointe shoes is one that flatters your foot and also helps facilitate your pointe work, there isn't really an advanced or beginner shoe, there's a right or wrong shoe.
By melissaga
On Fri Oct 09, 2015 03:43 PM
There really is no such thing as a student shoe. There is only the right shoe for a particular moment in time or training.

Have been told in the past that the Grishko 2007 was a studenty shoe. Funny, because there are professionals in major companies that wear it! Same for various Bloch shoes and I'd be willing to bet that there are pros that wear that particular shoe too. A quick Google search showed me that there are dancers in the Australian Ballet who wear this shoe.

If these are the right shoes for you, pay no attention to anyone who calls them a "student shoe!"
By Gavrilushka
On Tue Oct 13, 2015 09:14 PM
Student shoe, beginner shoe, advanced shoe, professional shoe....most of that is all just marketing really. Professional and advanced shoes tend to be harder though. But the bottom line is, just marketing. Shoes are shoes. If they fit and have a decent life span, who cares what they're called. :)
By Gracie220
On Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:19 AM
I agree - it doesn't matter whether they call it a "beginner shoe" or a "professional shoe." All that really matters is that the shoes work great for your feet and allow you to do your best with pointe work. However, it's absolutely worth it to go to the local fitter and see what's available. There might be other models that work well for you, too. It's definitely nice to try different brands, etc., and find more than one kind that you know will work for your feet. But if you go for a fitting and the store doesn't have anything that works as well, at least you'll know which ones don't work for you when you're searching for other options elsewhere.
By Dandeliondaisy
On Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:39 PM
That is very reassuring to hear! I made an appointment with the fitter anyways, just in case I find something better, but I'm glad I know now that "student" shoes don't really matter that much.

ReplySendWatch