Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
Soup Recipes now that the weather is getting cooler.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Oct 11, 2015 08:24 PM

I love soup! I love it so much I would eat it in the spring, summer, fall and winter. However, I don't like cold soup, so I don't eat it in the summer. This summer we had 3 days cool enough that we actually had hot soup! In 61 years that is the first time I have ever done that. Yeah, you know, all that climate change.

Anybody have any good soup recipes that they would like to share in this thread? I have a bunch but I have to get the recipes from my recipe book and it's not in the room where I am. Oh, wait, our encyclopedia of cookbooks has a great soup recipe in it that I have made and love and it is in the room I am in. I hope you guys enjoy this recipe because it is filling and yummy. I didn't think I would like this because I don't like a lot of what is in this soup on its own but in this soup I love it all!

Italian Chowder
1/4 lb. salami, chopped
2 TBSP. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
6 cups of water
2 carrots, sliced
2 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chopped celery & leaves
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of cayenne
about 2 1/4 cups (one 1-lb., 3 oz. can) chick-peas, drained
1/2 cup uncooked macaroni
1 garlic clove,minced
2 TBSP. minced parsley
grated Romano cheese (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup light cream

Brown salami in olive oil in kettle. Add onion and brown slightly. Add next 6 ingredients. Simmer covered, for 1 hour. Add chick-peas and simmer for 30 min. add macaroni and simmer for 20 min. longer. Just before serving, stir in garlic, parsley, 1/4 cup cheese & cream. Serve with additional cheese if desired. Makes about 2 1/2 quarts.

2 Replies to Soup Recipes now that the weather is getting cooler.

re: Soup Recipes now that the weather is getting cooler.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Mon Oct 12, 2015 06:55 AM
Square Meal Soup:
NOTE: No single ingredient is totally essential, and I seldom use all.
Special tools: Blender and crock pot
6 salad tomatoes.
1-1/2c brown rice
1/3c whole grain barley
3-6 cloves garlic
3 medium onions
4 stalks bok choy (about 1/6 of a bok choy)
4-6 oz. mushrooms
4 oz. okra
6 oz daikon radish (may substitute turnip)
1 Tbsp (minimum) dry tarragon
1t dry basil
1t powdered rosemary
1t dry oregano
1t thyme
water as needed
2 Tbsp Tamari soy sauce
Salt as needed

NOTE: Take any practicable short cuts to bring the mixture to a boil in a convenient amount of time. of cours don't break the crock.
Blend the tomatoes. Put these and the grains in the crock first, as they require the most cooking time.
Chop the vegetables.
Put everything except the Tamari sauce and salt into the crock.

Once the crock boils, turn to low heat and simmer until done. Add Tamari sauce, stir once, make salt available, and serve.

Do not think, drink, dream, or nightmare of adding potatoes, carrots, or pepper.

Do you want to add meat?
Any beef fits right in with this soup.
Lamb or goat requires adding dill weed.
With poultry I substitute a packaged poultry seasoning for most of the herbs - but keep the tarragon.
re: Soup Recipes now that the weather is getting cooler.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:42 PM
Chicken and dumplings

To make the base:

Two chicken thighs
Two chicken breasts
Celery
White onion
One quart unsalted chicken stock

Salt and pepper the chicken on all sides. Put the chicken in a soup pot with coarsely chopped onion and celery, add chicken stock and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.

Let simmer an hour or two. Alternatively, you can start it in a crockpot and simmer all day. Next, debone the chicken and remove the skin. You could use boneless, skinless chicken, but I think it tastes better to remove the bones and skin after cooking. You can also use a whole chicken, and double the stock, but it's a lot harder to debone.

Mix a quarter cup flour with a cup of hot water and add to soup base. Add two cups milk and quart of water. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Now, you are ready for the dumplings.

You can make the dumplings however you like. You can make a basic biscuit dough and drop by spoonfuls into the pot, cover and steam for ten minutes. I like to lay the spoonfuls of biscuit dough on top of the soup and bake for ten minutes and the dumplings turn out golden brown on top and fluffy underneath. If you are short on time, you can skimp and use canned biscuit dough. Cut in quarters and steam or bake on top.

kk~

ReplySendWatch