Forum: Irish / Irish - Adult Dancers

Irish - Adult Dancers
Knee surgery for torn cartilage - experiences?
By NEdancer Comments: 53, member since Tue Oct 09, 2007
On Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:15 PM

I have a small medial meniscus tear in my knee, that will probably come to surgery eventually, if I can't get it calmed down. Just wondering how long I would have to be out of dance after surgery. Anybody else gone through this?

2 Replies to Knee surgery for torn cartilage - experiences?

re: Knee surgery for torn cartilage - experiences?
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Oct 12, 2015 01:40 PM
Yes, I have had to go through this, it was a long time ago though and I know things are a lot better now than they were when I had my surgery so I won't depress you with how long I was out of dance for. Make sure you have a good PT ready for after your surgery, that will be the deciding factor in how long your recovery is, this is great article about choosing a therapist, in fact it's great site about injuries and how to avoid them.

danceproject.ca . . .
re: Knee surgery for torn cartilage - experiences?
By kate_monster Comments: 117, member since Thu Jul 28, 2011
On Tue Oct 13, 2015 08:37 AM
I had a meniscus tear in my right knee right before St. Patrick's Day 2015. I had to wait a month before the surgery (scheduled for the end of April) and I was finally to really dance again in September without it being too bothersome. It still swells up and I have to make sure to ALWAYS stretch and ice it. But that is my case. There was another person in my office at work who had the same surgery done in 2014, with the same doctor, and he had no issues recovering (he was older too). It really just depends on your body. But I agree, definitely go to physical therapy and make sure to do all excerices at home. I'd even go to physical therapy now for your tear if possible.

ReplySendWatch