Forum: Highland / Highland - Theory

Highland - Theory
BATD national members exam
By Dornie Comments: 23, member since Sun May 13, 2012
On Wed Oct 14, 2015 01:44 PM

Could anyone give me insight into the BATD national members exam?

1. Is it possible to take the National Fellows exam or do you have to do the National Members exam first and then take your Fellows? I already have my Highland Members.
2. What do you wear, your kilt or aboyne?
3. How many questions do they ask for each dance?
4. Is it only the dances in the BATD Nationals book (edition 2013) or do they also include the Jig and Hornpipe?
5. How long does the exam last, 1 or 2 hours?

Thanks for your help!

2 Replies to BATD national members exam

re: BATD national members exam
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Thu Oct 15, 2015 07:48 AM
I can't answer everything, but since you have no replies yet I thought I'd help out as best as I can. I took my National Members SDTA, not BATD. So there may be some differences. For SDTA there is only one Fellows, which includes everything, and you don't have to have any of the National exams (Associates or Members) under your belt to be able to do it, but it helps with practice. For National Members, I would suggest wearing Aboyne, as it would be easy to dance any dance in that - you have a skirt ready for the ladies' dances, but can ignore it for highland dances. The National Members definitely included Jig and Hornpipe, but only particular movements/steps/positions. As to the number or questions or length of time, I can't recall, but it was similar to Highland Members.
re: BATD national members exam
By punkqueeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1345, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Fri Oct 23, 2015 04:38 PM
1. You must have your National Member's to take the Fellow's, just like Highland.
2. Aboyne
3. I believe this information is in the syllabus, but expected at least a couple of questions about each dance
4. It includes Jig and Hornpipe
5. I would expect that it depends on the examiner but 1-2 hours is the ballpark

Buying the syllabus will really help answer these questions although it doesn't include all of the relevant information. And the SDTA just gives theirs away, what the heck?

ReplySendWatch