Forum: Advice / Emergency

Emergency
Can I contact a friend's psychiatrist?
By SwordInStone Comments: 192, member since Thu Aug 11, 2011
On Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:40 AM

In August my friend and I discussed contacting his doctor. He sent an email, but doctor was on vacation. Then something bad happened, so friend and I decided not to meet or write anymore, though we're still keeping an eye on each other from a distance. We'll meet again in December.

He hasn't been doing well. There are four of us in this group, and we're family though not related by blood. I was wondering if one of us can contact his doctor for advice. We can't ask his permission, he might not give it. Is it okay if we ask his doctor what to do and maybe explain the situation and see if she can check up on him? There's a possibility that the problem will get worse the longer we delay.

2 Replies to Can I contact a friend's psychiatrist?

re: Can I contact a friend's psychiatrist? (karma: 1)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:01 AM
I don't know what country you're in, so...maybe? I would imagine that because of regulations regarding patient privacy and what not, that in the US, this would be a big NO.

How is seeking out help for yourself going? It's admirable that you're wanting to help your friend, but I know you need help for yourself as well.
re: Can I contact a friend's psychiatrist?
By hummingbird Comments: 10410, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:51 PM
You can contact your friends doctor if you want to but whatever country you're in they won't be able to discuss your friends treatment with you or any details of their condition. If you haven't seen or met this friend for a while how do you know they're not doing well?

I agree with Theresa, you need to concentrate on your own treatment and well being.

ReplySendWatch