Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Guys in Ballet
Boys Uniform
By bluestorm5432 Comments: 5, member since Sun Aug 16, 2015
On Tue Oct 27, 2015 07:56 PM

I do ballet as an adult and a little as a kid. I never had to wear the "traditional ballet uniform" when I did it as a kid.

The other day I noticed that the young boys that do ballet have to wear a leotard with either tights or bike shorts depending on there age. But the older boys wore a fitted t shirt and tights. Why do the younger boys wear a leotard but the older boys do not. Wouldn't it make sense for it to be the other way around. The younger boys a fitted t-shirt and the older boys a leotard?

5 Replies to Boys Uniform

re: Boys Uniform
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:30 AM
At my studio all the guys wear for ballet wear a white shirt, black tights, dance belt, white socks and white ballet shoes.

That is normal dresscode at many studios
By bluestorm5432 Comments: 5, member since Sun Aug 16, 2015
On Mon Nov 16, 2015 08:26 PM
yeah. I did some research and it appears that the dress code in the original posting is popular in Europe. The only reason I could come up with is to ensure the shirt stays tucked in and to create "Uniformity" by having all the boys wear the same leotard.
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Thu Nov 19, 2015 04:57 AM
It depends very much on the context I think and there is no single universally adopted standard so far as I can discern.

In north america for e.g. t-shirts are de rigeur (customary) for all ages Of males generally, with some (serious, formal) academies howver opting for leos tops. (Leos provide a great line as do very well fitted shirts.) T-shirts may be less intimidating for some younger dancers but are baggy and obscure torso form. As leos come in full seat and thong back, the style can be another consideration I suppose.

In the UK the RAD exam uniform is prescribed for younger and for older boys, with the most junior in short dance shorts (rather than longer bike shorts) and leos, and the older guys in leggings/tights, and leo or shirt if I recall correctly.

Royal ballet school guys wear unitards colour coded to their year level or leos and tights, as do other serious academies (France, Denmark, Russia, Canada, USA, Australia, Japan).

It really can and does very I think. Depends on what the faculty decide to set and the look that they prefer. They might think that some boys will feel more comfortable wearing one type or form of dress code versus another, so it well could be that commercial factors are at play as well.

Even the interpetation of uniform(ity) is not uniform! It can range from 'so long as the top is white and the bottom is black with no big logos' to such and such a model of such and such a make of such and such a brand in the approved color.
By jcweiss1 Comments: 1, member since Fri Nov 27, 2015
On Fri Nov 27, 2015 02:48 PM
In my clases, I wear a lycra leotard, lycra mini shorts and ankle socks and ballet slippers, when I get older I will use a short unitard I guess. I dont like tights so my teacher lets me wear leotard and shorts but, I must keep my legs hairless so my mom helps me shave. Most schools have a dress code for boys, I prefer the leotard as it is more confortable and also you feel more secure when dancing, the shorts and ankle socks make you be free and you can move better.
By Gaudium Comments: 1366, member since Wed Apr 14, 2004
On Fri Dec 04, 2015 08:49 AM
When I took ballet in Michigan, the boys wore White "T" shirts and black athletic bottoms, in my case black sweats. Bottoms could be any style, but they had to be black. The school had problems finding boys so we were not held to strict school policy as long as we dressed in white and black, slippers could be any color.

When I took Ballet in Russia everyone conformed to the schools policy. Unitards or leos and tights. At first in Russia I was in shock and almost quite. But when all the boys were dressed the same after two classes it was no big deal.

Russia Ballet is different my class was made up of 5 females and 9 males. Trust me when I say in Russia you have no choice you wear what policy calls for or you get out. White shirt, black tights, dance belt, white socks and white ballet slippers was the basic dress. Not basic but mandatory dress.

ReplySendWatch